If you're facing court, you're not this stupid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul99

Über Member
Taken from the Road CC article about a recent tragic hit and run in Oxfordshire I came across this.

https://www.change.org/p/public-make-it-law-for-a-cyclist-to-wear-a-helmet

Now, surely this cannot be the same person as the accused (same name, same town, sadly similar "circumstances")? If you're going not out you would not post this on Change.org.
Some people just have no shame I guess.

http://www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk/...killing_cyclist_with_car_and_lying_to_police/

A woman who hit and killed a cyclist in Cholsey in Oxfordshire last year has admitted causing death by careless bdriving. Appearing at Oxford Crown Court, Maria Sutton also admitted lying to police about her car being stolen, but denied being over the drink-driving limit.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
It beggars belief doesn't it? I hope she goes to prison for a very long time.
I very much doubt that she will serve time, however much she deserves it. "Won't somebody think of the children?"
Edited: cross post with @CarlP

Just extraordinary. Remorse will be a factor in sentencing. She's incredibly stupid.
Was there any remorse? Claiming her car had been stolen, and starting a petition to make helmets compulsory, in which she also claims he had flashing lights, so it must have been his fault he got killed. Not much evidence of remorse there, I suggest.

I'm not a lawyer, I guess you could argue that yes, you killed someone and lied to the police, but you're REALLY sorry. Setting up a petition that blames the chap you killed makes that argument harder to win.

If the prosecution challenge her over the petition I am sure she will claim her account was hacked.
Actually, that is probably a pretty reasonable claim. That petition is the only thing done by that account. There really is no reason to believe it's actually her. It could have been created by anyone.

(Yes, seizing her computer, checking IP addresses etc etc might prove it, but we certainly don't have enough evidence to know it was her)

Top Bottom