Ignorant of highway code and lights on bikes law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5267388, member: 45"]Yes. It says that it's not an automatic entitlement and that you need to meet the standards. Having to use a stick to find hazards suggests that your eyesight may not.[/QUOTE]
Maybe i use the stick just for a bit of support due to my hip/leg breaks and i don't really need it for my eyesight,but i've convinced myself that i do? If i said that to the physio dept' they'd tell me to bin the stick as i'm relying on it too much. But let's not get into a discussion about that as well eh.:smile:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Right,i'm off into Accrington town centre to do this and that. I'm cycling the 8 miles there and back, so you Accy's eyesight doubters can rest at ease that i won't be doing a Mr Magoo and crashing into things or finding that i've driven to the top of a skyscraper and found myself and my car balancing on some big steel supported by a crane girder or similar!:okay:

D

Deleted member 26715

Right,i'm off into Accrington town centre to do this and that. I'm cycling the 8 miles there and back,
But you're angry with the job centre for suggesting you take a job that involves walking because of your hip problems,

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Alan O

Über Member
Not everyone who has difficulty walking has difficulty cycling. In fact, for many with joint problems it eases their discomfort while keeping them mobile.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...disabled-people-cycling-rolling-walking-stick
Indeed - it can be good non-weight-bearing physiotherapy.

My doc (who's maybe a bit biased as he's a keen cyclist) reckons cycling is good physiotherapy for lots of things - he certainly says it's good physio for my being so fat!

TVC

Right,i'm off into Accrington town centre to do this and that. I'm cycling the 8 miles there and back, so you Accy's eyesight doubters can rest at ease that i won't be doing a Mr Magoo and crashing into things or finding that i've driven to the top of a skyscraper and found myself and my car balancing on some big steel supported by a crane girder or similar!:okay:
Cool, when you get back we can talk about loss of sight being a notifiable disability that must be declared on an insurance application.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not everyone who has difficulty walking has difficulty cycling. In fact, for many with joint problems it eases their discomfort while keeping them mobile.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...disabled-people-cycling-rolling-walking-stick
That's true! I had a day off cycling yesterday as my hip was hurting after doing nearly 50 miles over the weekend. It wasn't too bad this morning,but after doing 25 miles this afternoon i can't feel any pain whatsoever!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
But you're angry with the job centre for suggesting you take a job that involves walking because of your hip problems,
There's a big difference between climbing up and down ladders carrying building material and rotating your leg on a bike. Cycling is fairly non weight bearing,though i could do with upping my cadence from around 50 to maybe 70 rpm, as having a low cadence does mean more pressure on the hips and legs.

I can't believe I actually read all this.... What a waste hahaha....

And I personally think that the cyclist was being stupid.. Suppose being young he still thinks he is invincible.. Give way to the right.. I expect car stoat give way to me on my bike if I'm on their right/on roundabout etc, surely it's a matter of common sense to do the reverse to a car In the same situation?

Right or wrong, he was stupid.. Maybe the cyclist had only one eye, maybe one brain cell.. Having right to be on the road doesn't negate the need for common sense, and it feels like the consensus here is that only motor vehicle drivers need to realise that..

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I can't believe I actually read all this.... What a waste hahaha....

And I personally think that the cyclist was being stupid.. Suppose being young he still thinks he is invincible.. Give way to the right.. I expect car stoat give way to me on my bike if I'm on their right/on roundabout etc, surely it's a matter of common sense to do the reverse to a car In the same situation?

Right or wrong, he was stupid.. Maybe the cyclist had only one eye, maybe one brain cell.. Having right to be on the road doesn't negate the need for common sense, and it feels like the consensus here is that only motor vehicle drivers need to realise that..
I don’t think anyone said the cyclist was in the right or that only motor drivers need common sense. If the thread seems weighed towards discussing the drivers actions that may be because the driver is here to defend himself.

D

Deleted member 26715

I know I'm entitled to a disabled person's railcard (1/3 discount on fares) because I wear hearing aids. You'd probably qualify for that at least.
I didn't know that, I am supposed to wear them, but find they make my ears itch terribly

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom