Ignorant of highway code and lights on bikes law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ok this happened last night.
Last night i went out in my car to various places and then onto the local supermarket. It was a wet night and dark as it was around 9.15pm. The first thing that bugged me was seeing someone driving a car without even its sidelights on. A black car at that which made it even harder to see. I said to myself something like "bloody idiot(as i flashed him/her and didn't get a response),next i'll be seeing some tit on a bike without lights or reflectors". Then low and behold about 10 minutes later i came across him! There i was going round the mini roundabout which leads onto the supermarket car park when i spotted this idiot hurtling down the road towards me. As you'll know i had the right of way. I indicated going round the roundabout(even though i'd say about 50-60% don't),to let this person on a bike know that i would be turning right so he'd better stop to give way. Did he stop? No he didn't! As i was heading for the 3 o clock turn off he cycled right across my path,causing me to brake and sound my horn. I was met with shouts of abuse. I let it go and drove onto the shop car park to see that this idiot on a bike had decided to follow me. I suspected a confrontation and i was right. He approached me as i got out of my car and asked abruptly why i didn't give way to him. I explained that i had the right of way and he made it hard for me to see him as he didn't have lights on his bike. He then ranted that he had to swerve to avoid me(still didn't get it that he was supposed to stop as i went round the roundabout) and this is the best one...he didn't need lights by law as his bike had reflectors fitted. But wait,it gets even better/worse! A bloke then came over saying he'd seen what happened. I expected him to back me up but no. He said that the cyclist was in the right as wait for this..."Cyclists under 18 can ride without lights if they have reflectors fitted"(this person on a bike was about 15/16 i'd say). Only under 18 mind you. As soon as they reach 18 they have to have lights on their bikes,according to him who witnessed this. So off went the one on a bike,with his actions exonerated by this person who i thought had come over to back me up,but took the side of the idiot without lights on his bike. Thanks for reading this. Posting about it helps get it off my chest!

Last edited by a moderator:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The rules in the Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The rules in the Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.
I disagree. When you are going round the roundabout, as Accy was doing, you have right of way over anyone waiting to get on the roundabout.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Last night i went out in my car to various places and then onto the local supermarket. It was a wet night and dark as it was around 9.15pm. The first thing that bugged me was seeing someone driving a car without even its sidelights on. A black car at that which made it even harder to see. I said to myself something like "bloody idiot(as i flashed him/her and didn't get a response),next i'll be seeing some tit on a bike without lights or reflectors". Then low and behold about 10 minutes later i came across him! There i was going round the mini roundabout which leads onto the supermarket car park when i spotted this idiot hurtling down the road towards me. As you'll know i had the right of way. I indicated going round the roundabout(even though i'd say about 50-60% don't),to let this person on a bike know that i would be turning right so he'd better stop to give way. Did he stop? No he didn't! As i was heading for the 3 o clock turn off he cycled right across my path,causing me to brake and sound my horn. I was met with shouts of abuse. I let it go and drove onto the shop car park to see that this idiot on a bike had decided to follow me. I suspected a confrontation and i was right. He approached me as i got out of my car and asked abruptly why i didn't give way to him. I explained that i had the right of way and he made it hard for me to see him as he didn't have lights on his bike. He then ranted that he had to swerve to avoid me(still didn't get it that he was supposed to stop as i went round the roundabout) and this is the best one...he didn't need lights by law as his bike had reflectors fitted. But wait,it gets even better/worse! A bloke then came over saying he'd seen what happened. I expected him to back me up but no. He said that the cyclist was in the right as wait for this..."Cyclists under 18 can ride without lights if they have reflectors fitted"(this person on a bike was about 15/16 i'd say). Only under 18 mind you. As soon as they reach 18 they have to have lights on their bikes,according to him who witnessed this. So off went the one on a bike,with his actions exonerated by this person who i thought had come over to back me up,but took the side of the idiot without lights on his bike. Thanks for reading this. Posting about it helps get it off my chest!
Have you written an essay on a motoring forum about the guy in the black car that didn't have lights on?
BTW, what time was this?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I disagree. When you are going round the roundabout, as Accy was doing, you have right of way over anyone waiting to get on the roundabout.
Well that's what i thought. This is a particularly bad roundabout as when yo pull off it your vision is restricted by high privets. As the one on a bike was hurtling down he could easily have been hit by or hit a car. I'm putting his couldn't care less and nothing can harm me attitude down to his youth.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The witness did say after this incident something like "There aren't any coppers about to patrol the roads". Well from my experience i've seen police officers in their cars, drive past non lit cyclists like they weren't there.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The witness did say after this incident something like "There aren't any coppers about to patrol the roads". Well from my experience i've seen police officers in their cars, drive past non lit cyclists like they weren't there.
Maybe they didn't see them.

glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Maybe in the grand scheme of priorities they are aware that there are more pressing things for them to deal with.

Top Bottom