Ignorant of highway code and lights on bikes law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
[QUOTE 5264558, member: 45"]Some road users are idiots. Let it go, and don't choose to let their behaviour cause you to join their club.[/QUOTE]
Some road users are even children.

User269

There is no such thing as "right of way".

If there's no such thing as "right of way", how or why then does one "give way", and having done so is it to someone who has "right of way", which you say doesn't exist?

I appreciate the point you're making is that "right of way" doesn't entitle us to deliberately plough into other road users or expect to sail through assorted junctions without due care or consideration, but it does incline us to expect that others might possibly obey road markings, which is both a legal requirement and common sense, not a just a courtesy.

serveimage.png

The approach to a junction may have a ‘Give Way’ sign or a triangle marked on the road. You MUST give way to traffic on the main road when emerging from a junction with broken white lines across the road.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10(1),16(1) & 25

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
[QUOTE 5264593, member: 45"]It takes away the blame culture, by saying that we shouldn't expect others to stop and makes us focus on our own actions. Too many road users bang on about what everyone else should be doing when they only have control over your own actions.

If a young teenager doesn't give way to you on a roundabout then so what? Carry on as if he should give way and you might find yourself responsible killing him.[/QUOTE]
Rules and regulations are there for a reason but common sense should still prevail. Anybody in its right mind wouldn't just insist on having a right of way at any cost. If an idiot decide not to give you right of way and jumps in front of you, of course you let him through then and swear to yourself about his irresponsible action.

Drago

Legendary Member
If there's no such thing as "right of way", how or why then does one "give way", and having done so is it to someone who has "right of way", which you say doesn't exist?

I appreciate the point you're making is that "right of way" doesn't entitle us to deliberately plough into other road users or expect to sail through assorted junctions without due care or consideration, but it does incline us to expect that others might possibly obey road markings, which is both a legal requirement and common sense, not a just a courtesy.

View attachment 412215

The approach to a junction may have a ‘Give Way’ sign or a triangle marked on the road. You MUST give way to traffic on the main road when emerging from a junction with broken white lines across the road.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10(1),16(1) & 25

As aforementioned already by my good self, the phenomena is "priority", not "right of way". The latter is what the great uneducated public regard as an entitlement and then moan after the crash when it doesn't appear. The former is the correct commodity, and is something one grants to other road users, not something they take for themselves. I don't think I can make it any clearer than that.

There is simply no such thing as right of way in either legislation of officially sanctioned code of practice. It's something Daily Mail readers invented to justify why they crashed into someone else.

winjim

Smash the cistern
As aforementioned already by my good self, the phenomena is "priority", not "right of way". The latter is what the great uneducated public regard as an entitlement and then moan after the crash when it doesn't appear. The former is the correct commodity, and is something one grants to other road users, not something they take for themselves. I don't think I can make it any clearer than that.

There is simply no such thing as right of way in either legislation of officially sanctioned code of practice. It's something Daily Mail readers invented to justify why they crashed into someone else.
Right of way does exist as a concept in the Highway Code:

The rules in the Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.

midlife

Guru
From my copy of the highway code..... My bold

This section should be read by all drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders. The rules
in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance
, but they advise you
when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.

gbb

Legendary Member
Am I the only one who feels they're getting too old to take on the world.
I'm more likely to shrug my shoulders at stuff nowadays than ever before. I have an opinion on 'right if way...or priority etc.....but can't even be bothered to argue the toss,
My view echoes Dragos.
If errant drivers drive like Ferkin idiots...you won' change them in the short term, experience...usually a poor one is one of the only things that will change them, when they inevitably (hopefully) come to grief.
Drive /ride on....tut, shake your head...and forget about it. :headshake:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Some road users are even children.
Little bits of incidents come back to me. I now remember him saying "You made me swerve you @##! You should learn to drive properly". This coming from a 16 or 17 year old to someone who's held a clean license for nearly 39 years,apart from 3 points for a cracked headlight and has only been stopped by the police once and that was for doing 38 in a 40 zone when i was 21. Is someone a child at 16 or 17?

Top Bottom