Ignorant of highway code and lights on bikes law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

No but i'd say it would be wise of them to cycle carefully in dark wet conditions. Not hurtle down a road at a roundabout where anything could happen. This twonk on a bike wasn't going to stop for anything.
So why did you proceed then? and if you saw him before he arrived at the junction then whether he had lights or not is irrelevant to the outcome.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
So why did you proceed then? and if you saw him before he arrived at the junction then whether he had lights or not is irrelevant to the outcome.
I went round the roundabout slowly,precautiously like i always do. I thought by driving slowly with my headlights on he would've seen me. He obviously did but didn't bother to stop. Are you suggesting that i should stop for every road user who looks like he/she might be about to do something reckless

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I went round the roundabout slowly,precautiously like i always do. I thought by driving slowly with my headlights on he would've seen me. He obviously did but didn't bother to stop. Are you suggesting that i should stop for every road user who looks like he/she might be about to do something reckless

If they "Look like they are about to do something reckless" you'd be an idiot not to.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Because you were going slowly, maybe he misjudged your speed and thought he had time to proceed?

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
We need someone with a magic deciding coin...

Or perhaps.....

BF17FC04-8018-46D6-B787-F81E45446DAC.gif

Not being a lawyer as some seem to be on this thread, as I read the situation. Whilst the OP was driving well as in law with due care and consideration for other road users. The fact he had seen the cyclist riding towards him without lights, means in my mind he had a duty of care to insure that he did not continue in a fashion which would have further endangered the cyclist. However, if because the cyclist did have lights then if the OP had not seen him, then he could have a good argument for running him down.

Top Bottom