Ignorant of highway code and lights on bikes law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
A rhyme from the world of sailing, but it seems as pertinent here:
Here lies the body of Michael O'Day.
He died defending his right of way.
He was right, dead right, as he sailed along,
But just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
From my copy of the highway code..... My bold

This section should be read by all drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders. The rules
in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance
, but they advise you
when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.

Wayheyyy, my first TMN in ages, thanks!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Little bits of incidents come back to me. I now remember him saying "You made me swerve you @##! You should learn to drive properly". This coming from a 16 or 17 year old to someone who's held a clean license for nearly 39 years,apart from 3 points for a cracked headlight and has only been stopped by the police once and that was for doing 38 in a 40 zone when i was 21. Is someone a child at 16 or 17?
Yes they are a child, although one can hold a driving licence at 17 so that's possibly a grey area when it comes to roadcraft. But part of driving properly is mitigating other people's mistakes and not getting wound up.

Children and especially adolescents are ignorant dickheads. It's a natural part of growing up which adults should be capable of allowing for.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5264711, member: 45"]You said it was dark and he was 15 or 16. When it was pointed out that he was a child you've changed your story.

It's also been pointed out that you're complaining about a car and a bike with no lights on, before sunset and lighting up time.[/QUOTE]
15,16,17 does it matter. He was old enough to give lip so don't think he was some kiddywink or something. Also,regardless of the time it was almost dark due to heavy rain clouds overhead. Drivers are expected to light up no matter what the time of day if the weather and light conditions are bad. Not only was the one on a bike without lights he was also riding dangerously ,regardless of whether he had lights on or not!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Children and especially adolescents are ignorant dickheads. It's a natural part of growing up which adults should be capable of allowing for.
Ok,fair point.

Mr Celine

Discordian
upload_2018-6-2_15-2-59.png

Was your roundabout actually a give way (marked by a double dashed line and a give way triangle)? Very few are.

Why did you sound your horn?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
maybe nobody was there, maybe it wasn't dark, maybe a 16 year old didn't follow a grown man, maybe it wasn't even raining, maybe none of this even happened. there are a lot of maybe's, who knows.

Reg only comes on Accy's thread for ... for. ... erm erm I've no idea really but it's never to engage , spurned lover ?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The general rule to give way to traffic on your right at roundabouts seems to work mostly in practice. In the days of CB radio I used to drive a lot in “polo mint city” aka East Kilbride. Since then I think Aberdeen and Dundee have more roundabouts but the principle still seems to work.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5264806, member: 45"]<genuine question> Are cyclists expected to carry lights during the day in case it becomes overcast before dark?[/QUOTE]

No but i'd say it would be wise of them to cycle carefully in dark wet conditions. Not hurtle down a road at a roundabout where anything could happen. This twonk on a bike wasn't going to stop for anything.

Top Bottom