Ignore moderators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
wafflycat said:
2. Remember back to the C+ days when the mods were identified - the result was utter unnecessary *nastiness* to the mods. It was beyond a joke

That bit is simply unacceptable behaviour, and should have had consequences. It didn't, I think because the C+ forum was not well run, unlike this place.

If someone was utterly and unacceptably nasty on here, I'm sure it would lead to banning eventually. I do feel mods should be visibly obvious, and I also feel that we should be able to ignore them.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
What about giving each mod a separate moderator account to moderate with? That way I can ignore people when they are posting with their own personal hat on, and will still be able to see any necessary moderator action.

col

Legendary Member
I dont think you should be able to ignore mods,as thats akin to ignoring someone in charge of something.The real problem is that there are some who shouldnt be moderators,as they misuse or abuse the position.Thats the issue,not just being able to blanket ignore.

beancounter said:
The ignore facility is an absolutely invaluable feature of any forum. At last count there were 50 posters on mine.
If it wasn't for the Ignore list I wouldn't be on here anymore. Reading the bilge posted by certain members just gives me indigestion and I know from experience that there's absolutely no point engaging in any kind of debate with them.

Having said that, there are only a few regular posters on mine and most of them post in P&L, where I don't go. :ohmy:

Yes must admiit to experimenting with an ignore list for the first time. It's just the sheer repetition or depressive nature of some which I don't want to read anymore, objectionable is OK. Don't know if I'll stick to it but I thought I'd try it.

Shaun

Founder
A list of mods has been asked for before, and I'm not going to publish one for the simple reason that mods will get bashed as a result - it won't happen straight away, but eventually a contentious modding decision will be made and there will be a backlash; result, mods will get harrased!

I've illustrated how the modding works here on numerous occasions, but briefly;
  • a post is reported (this is generally how we are prompted to look into something, although on occasion a mod will highlight a thread if they feel it needs some attention)
  • we discuss it in the mods forum (which is invisible to non-mods and allows us to discuss an issue without all and sundry wading in with their opinions and recommendations etc.)
  • then we take whatever action we feel is appropriate
I have, due to moderators being wrongly accused of things in the past and being abused either openly or by PM, created a generic Moderators account so that modding actions can be carried out without members identify the specific moderator.

I'd actually prefer to not have to do this, however some people get very upset with modding / mods and it is totally unfair to ask the volunteer mods to take abuse for something they offer their valuable free time for.

The fact that most people don't even notice the moderation here tells me we have a good system and a balanced approach.

FWIW there are roughly 20 mods, made up of a mixture of sex, age, and cycling / foruming experience.

Cheers,
Shaun :ohmy:

ChrisKH

Guru
Have never used the ignore function. You can't do that in real life -you have to take the rough with the smooth. There will always be people you disagree with or who hold a different opinion. If you want to use one that's fine, but aren't you trying to create a Utopia that doesn't exist on a 'public' forum? It must get very boring. I'll admit to having moved here from Bikeradar because it's a little more pleasant, but otherwise I take it on the chin. If I had stuck bonj on an ignore list in the early days, I would never have seen his later posts bear fruit.

yenrod

wafflycat said:
2. Remember back to the C+ days when the mods were identified - the result was utter unnecessary *nastiness* to the mods. It was beyond a joke

I recall WAffs that they were 'shot down' BUT it was so self-policed that Future shoot themselves as they were bothered about the bigger legal picture if anything serious happened.

It was so self-regulating and Clare I think her name was who was the admin n there and got quite a following esp. amongst the lads and they wanted to see her pic and the likes...

No one likes being moderated on here (well some :smile:)..and there are a section, like so - on here, mostly those that came from c+

So they amalgamated all the mags they run..to their detriment ! :ohmy: (ie we're all on here)

ChrisKH said:
Have never used the ignore function. You can't do that in real life -you have to take the rough with the smooth.
Yes you can! It's not as neat and simple as on here, but it's not hard to avoid people you don't want to get involved with.

The user-mods on C+ got little back-up from Future and yes, sometimes it got personal and rather unpleasant. If we'd had a generic Mod account to act under, rather than our own names, it would have been much better.

I'm going to try and Ignore everyone now, to see if I can figure out who the Mods are.....:angry:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Never used ignore and can't imagine ever doing so and don't care who the mods are. If a site has mods 'in your face' pulling you up all the time then, for me, it kills a forum. This place seems pretty reasonable but then I am new on here, so appreciate I lack the history of many. But I've been on other sites for 7-8 years and experienced the full spectrum of forum niggles. Ultimately I can switch off, walk away, but the only thing that's ever driven me from a site is over moderation.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't have an ignore list - I simply skim the posts from some people (or don't bother with the threads they start).

I think Admin has it right about the mods. And at the end of the day, Admin's word goes, as far as I'm concerned.

I can see Bent Mikey's point, but I think two separate accounts for mods (as opposed to the generic account Admin mentions) is a bit cumbersome. Sooner or later, someone forgets which account they are in, or something. And it could lead to accusations of mods 'hiding' behind one identity. By and large, if you don't want to trawl through stuff you find tedious, it's easy enough to skim it.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Arch said:
I can see Bent Mikey's point, but I think two separate accounts for mods (as opposed to the generic account Admin mentions) is a bit cumbersome. Sooner or later, someone forgets which account they are in, or something. And it could lead to accusations of mods 'hiding' behind one identity.

Not really. It's not as though there's much moderation going on here at all, so it won't be hard work to give each moderator one extra account to moderate with, and return their personal accounts to personal use only. It has the *MASSIVE* benefit in that it really separates out moderator duties with personal chat on the forums.

It's really tiresome when an otherwise good debate gets soiled by a couple of the moderators really going off on one with another member in a vigorous flamefest. You miss all the good bits in the amount of noise going on. Really, moderators shouldn't be behaving like that if they can't be ignored.

wafflycat

Chuffy said:
If it wasn't for the Ignore list I wouldn't be on here anymore. Reading the bilge posted by certain members just gives me indigestion and I know from experience that there's absolutely no point engaging in any kind of debate with them.

+1

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's easy to see who the mods are. Just note which regulars aren't posting on this thread.

Except that's nonsense, as you're a moderator. Want to find out for sure? Try adding Mr P to your ignore list.

Top Bottom