Ignore moderators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
LLB said:
Admin has to find what is right here, but IMO someone putting a mod hat on needs to be seen to show some balance in their posts, and they also need to be seen as mods who are actively posting on the boards and 'moderating' when the more lively characters get out of hand.

I think you are wrong there. They should show balance in their moderating actions, certainly, and I think that is achieved by generally acting on a concensus among the mods, rather than a single person's opinion. But they should have a right to post whatever they feel like, within the rules and conventions of the forum. Otherwise, you might as well not allow them to post as 'normal' forummers.

Admin said:
Erm ... Chuffy ... that's sort of the point of this whole thread - you can't add moderators to your ignore list! :smile:
Ah. I was referring to the specific example that was raised, not necessarily to the Mods.

PS. If it's of any interest, we do have a moderators rule that you can't moderate a reported thread you've been arguing in; just so people are aware that moderators can't mod themselves!
That's one of the first things we agreed on back in the C+ User-mod days. Covers most problems of conflict of interest.

We're moving away from the very simple point of, if a user is also a moderator you can't ignore them. Now given that I have never seen anyone intervene openly as a moderator and that there is now a moderator login, it strikes me that not being able to ignore someone isn't necessary: Is it? The moderator login can be used for PM's or thread intervention.

Arch

Married to Night Train
So you're suggesting that mods are no longer 'marked' as such under their own names, as far as the forum 'knows', but use the moderator name to perform actions.

I can see the logic, but it might make it difficult for the mods to discuss issues in the way they do now. Also, can more than one person be signed in at once as one name? Having more than one mod online at once seems preferable.

(Having said that, I don't have an ignore list - if I want to ignore someone, I simply don't read any posts by them.)

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Indeed, the issue is resolved simply by not sitting in the corner with your fingers in your ears going 'la la la la'.... or using the ignore list, the internet version of the naughty corner

Well, the way the moderation works on here i.e. pretty much in the background unseen, means that mods who are forummers are forummers first, mods second. In their capacity as mods they don't openly intervene (I've perhaps seen one or two open modding comments) but I presume, discuss topics on their own board, do occasional edits and locks and perhaps send the odd PM. With the exception of the latter, being on someones ignore list wouldn't prevent any of that happening but if it did, use of the moderator login, which de-personalises things anyway, would get around that.

Because of that, it seems less of an issue to allow people who are mods to be ignored. If the style of moderation was different, as it is on many boards, then it wouldn't work. I think it rather points to the good moderation set-up here that such a proposal could even be considered as possible.

Of course forummers who are mods, can't run an ignore list as that's kind of self-defeating. As for ignore list's themselves, well they exist as part of the forum functionality and therefore people use them. If they do then requests over their functionality have to be considered. It's a different discussion as to whether the forum benefits from them.

Shaun

Founder
Crackle said:
We're moving away from the very simple point of, if a user is also a moderator you can't ignore them. Now given that I have never seen anyone intervene openly as a moderator and that there is now a moderator login, it strikes me that not being able to ignore someone isn't necessary: Is it? The moderator login can be used for PM's or thread intervention.

Unfortunately, it's not technically possible at the moment with the current software.

Having all mods use a single account isn't workable and the software option to allow people to ignore mods also includes admin in the ignore group, and there's no way of separating the two.

I feel we have a good balance at the moment; if anyone has a problem with a particular moderator, or thread/post, then feel free to report them or PM me if you'd prefer to discuss it in private.

Cheers,
Shaun :tongue:

[Edit: If future software upgrades allow mods to be ignored, then we'll discuss it - openly :smile:]

Admin said:
Unfortunately, it's not technically possible at the moment with the current software.

Having all mods use a single account isn't workable and the software option to allow people to ignore mods also includes admin in the ignore group, and there's no way of separating the two.

I feel we have a good balance at the moment; if anyone has a problem with a particular moderator, or thread/post, then feel free to report them or PM me if you'd prefer to discuss it in private.

Cheers,
Shaun :smile:

:smile: Now if you'd said that on page 1 :smile:;)

There you go BM, you'll just have to stick your fingers in your ears and go la,la,la,la,la..... until your eyes scan to the post below :tongue:

LLB

Admin said:

Cheers,
Shaun :sad:

[Edit: If future software upgrades allow mods to be ignored, then we'll discuss it - openly :smile:]

You could always put all of those with mod status in a group without mod rights, but having access to the mod board to discuss mod issues, and then give them the password to a single login account with mod rights to acrry out mod duties :biggrin:

Then the ignore function could be exploited as requested.

Shaun

Founder
Crackle said:
:smile: Now if you'd said that on page 1 :sad:;)

Do you know, that's strange, because I would have sworn blind that I had already mentioned this.

The problem is ... I haven't ... I've just been back through the entire thread and there's nothing there.

Sorry everyone ... I've obviously looked at the technicality of doing it, and not reported back to the thread.

Erm, cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Admin said:
Do you know, that's strange, because I would have sworn blind that I had already mentioned this.

The problem is ... I haven't ... I've just been back through the entire thread and there's nothing there.

Sorry everyone ... I've obviously looked at the technicality of doing it, and not reported back to the thread.

Erm, cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

TBH, I thought you'd already said it too... maybe you said it somewhere else.

col

Legendary Member
Iv never had a problem with shauns modding,in fact it was done in a pleasant way, being warned or even some would say a wrist slap for my energetic argumentative way sometimes:biggrin:
The only problem iv had was when someone tried to mod on request,when i was debating with someone,with no pm or contact,or it seems with no other mods being included as to the reasons? Until the next day.
But i cant really see a reason as to why a mod should be ignored?Unless said mod wasnt suited to the job,or by maybe taking advantage of mod powers to their own advantage in some way?Being ignorant to someone because you dont agree with them is daft really isnt it?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I think you should be allowed to ignore Mods... of course you'll be the one to pay when your account is locked due to you not listening to/heeding any warning(s) from them... :laugh:

I don't have anyone on ignore - don't see the need, as has been said if you don't agree with someone and don't want to read their contributions then just miss out their posts.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Do mod's know who is on an ignore list? I mean if they sent a message to someone would they be aware that it was being ignored?

I haven't had a problem with the modding on this board ... as far as I can tell its usually fairly quietly done... - so thanks from me.

Top Bottom