Ignore moderators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's very easy to do, and there are no technical limitations. Each moderator has their own account, thus "Mister P" is a standard user with no priviledges. Mister P then also has his own moderator account "Moderator P", a separate login, with moderator privileges. Some other bloke would then have the setup, such as "Other bloke" and "Moderator Other bloke".

User account is allowed to discuss, moderator account is only for moderation. Thus everyone is happy, Shaun still has accountability, the mods have actual anonymity (unlike now), and I can ignore someone if I want to. Given how little moderation goes on here, this can hardly be a stumbling block for the moderators either in terms of effort of logging in or out. Besides which, it would be very easy to run two different browsers, one with the moderator login and one with the user login.

Shaun

Founder
Hmmm ... let's see:

Current system:

• Step 1: Oh look, there's a spam post / thread
  • Step 2: Oh look, it's gone now!
Dual account system:
  • Step 1: Oh look, there's a spam post / thread
  • Step 2: Log out
  • Step 3: Login to moderator account
  • Step 4: Browse back to spam post / thread (if you can remember where it is!)
  • Step 5: Remove spam
  • Step 6: Log out
  • Step 7: Login to regular account
  • Step 8: Browse back to where you started from
Erm, I don't think so! :laugh:

The way we've got it now works fine, and I'm sure the ignore mods feature will become available in the future - just hang in there! :laugh:

Cheers,
Shaun :laugh:

BentMikey said:
It's very easy to do, and there are no technical limitations. Each moderator has their own account, thus "Mister P" is a standard user with no priviledges. Mister P then also has his own moderator account "Moderator P", a separate login, with moderator privileges. Some other bloke would then have the setup, such as "Other bloke" and "Moderator Other bloke".

User account is allowed to discuss, moderator account is only for moderation. Thus everyone is happy, Shaun still has accountability, the mods have actual anonymity (unlike now), and I can ignore someone if I want to. Given how little moderation goes on here, this can hardly be a stumbling block for the moderators either in terms of effort of logging in or out. Besides which, it would be very easy to run two different browsers, one with the moderator login and one with the user login.

Blimey, I'd never remember all that. I'd be forever forgetting one password or the other, or just posting under my mod account ... no, that might be easy for you but it would be a pain in the arse for me.:smile:
Incidentally, I can understand why some of the other mods would prefer to keep their identities private, but I don't care who knows I'm a mod. As I see it, if I'm open about it I can still take an active part in the forum. Which is, after all, why I'm here.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i think a point of misunderstanding might be the fact that on other forums (yacf, bikeradar etc), a moderator is responsible for a particular section of the site. the moderator is named under the forum title. some people may be assuming we have the same system but with mysterious anonymous mods.

as no mod has particular duties to this forum or that, it's inevitable that occasionally you find yourself having to moderate a thread in which you might have posted 16 pages back and forgotten about. it's not perfect, but for the most part it works, and virtually all serious mod issues get discussed before action is taken.

the fact that this subject is even up for open debate says much about the moderation here…

Arch

Married to Night Train
alecstilleyedye said:
as no mod has particular duties to this forum or that, it's inevitable that occasionally you find yourself having to moderate a thread in which you might have posted 16 pages back and forgotten about. it's not perfect, but for the most part it works, and virtually all serious mod issues get discussed before action is taken.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for a mod to moderate a thread they've taken part in, as long as it isn't blatantly altering or locking something to their 'advantage'. Plenty of threads are ok until someone loses their rag and gets abusive, for example, at which point action may need to be taken. But anyway, as alecetc says, the vast majority of such decisions would be jointly taken. Mods really only act alone to get rid of spam and suchlike, and even then, it's sometimes out up for discussion.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Don't leave. You post good stuff here, and many of us appreciate that. To go over this would be a bit silly IMO. Please stay!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yes, come on, that seems a bit OTT. If you want to ignore someone, skim over their posts. I do it all the time.

It's not being left as it is because of some whim or to annoy you. It's not possible as the system stands, and to alter the system would over complicate things. Admin has always been very amenable to change, when he can sort it, and if he prefers to leave it, I think that's fine.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face, please.

BentMikey said:
Right, well I'm bored of not being able to ignore some of the moderators now. Please could you delete my user account?
4000+ posts suggests commitment. If you leave, you'll end up coming back. Just take a break for a week or two or avoid the area of the forum where said Mod posts (and I don't know for sure who you mean 'cos there's dozens of the buggers).

Stick commuting on the don't show posts bit and leave it alone for a while. Otherwise we'll all have to go to considerable lengths to stalk you on other forums; and we will.

Top Bottom