Ignoring People

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Would it be possible for the ignore function to be made more complete? At present, if I were to put someone on ignore and they post in a thread I am following, I get an alert to new content. If I follow that alert I see a post and a message saying "you are ignoring.....do you want to see it?"
Ideally, I don't want an ignore list. What I would really like is a facility where I don't get an alert to new content only to find it is going to be some nonsense from a perennial poster of such. The list of such people to be provided by me. I can then skim over their post as and when someone else post something more likely to be worthwhile. Possible?
That's a bit harsh. Just cos I like Stella. :sad:

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I have a rule that I never ignore people. Ignoring people is rude and all people have a right to be heard unless they are spouting hate speech or racist stuff, or something like that; but I am guessing that sort of thing would be moderated pretty quickly on here.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Would it be possible for the ignore function to be made more complete? At present, if I were to put someone on ignore and they post in a thread I am following, I get an alert to new content. If I follow that alert I see a post and a message saying "you are ignoring.....do you want to see it?"
Ideally, I don't want an ignore list. What I would really like is a facility where I don't get an alert to new content only to find it is going to be some nonsense from a perennial poster of such. The list of such people to be provided by me. I can then skim over their post as and when someone else post something more likely to be worthwhile. Possible?
Are you watching threads and, as a result, getting updates about the ignored content? I've never seem the behaviour you describe and though I do, for short periods, put people on ignore, I don't watch threads.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've not seen it either to be fair and I know we're not meant to discuss details but I've got a fairly healthy ignore list. The only two things I see are: at the bottom of a page I may see "Show ignored content" and also in New Posts threads will rise up the list if an ignored person has replied. However in my Watched Threads list, a reply from an ignored person doesn't bring it in to the list.

potsy

Rambler
I am of the opinion that everyone has a right to express themselves but that does not then translate into an obligation for me to pay it any attention.
Skim reading is your friend, helps keep track of a thread that would otherwise make little sense with a large proportion of the posts on ignore.
I only ignore one person right now, but I can guess 99% of the stuff he would post anyway, and I've rather not seen his face.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Can we have a rule that anyone who tries communicate with someone they are ignoring, for example by an aside to another saying "oh, that ignored person must have posted on this thread", or directly "you are on my ignore list" should be punished severely. If you're going to ignore someone, then do it properly. Don't peep out round corners and have a pop at them. Offhand, I can't think of suitable punishments right now, but they shall be the terrors of the earth.

r04DiE

I am of the opinion that everyone has a right to express themselves but that does not then translate into an obligation for me to pay it any attention.
Well, you are welcome to your opinion and, although I disagree with it, I certainly will not be ignoring any further posts of yours.

There is another use for "ignore", someone put me on ignore because he is an idiot and he made an incorrect snap judgement about me. He then kept posting really stupid things, but there was no point responding to him as he had me on ignore. The only way was to ignore him too.

(plus the person who posted a US Republican party talking point about abortion in a thread about a dead lion. I never want to hear anything he has to say again)

r04DiE

There is another use for "ignore", someone put me on ignore
How do you know he had you on ignore?
...(plus the person who posted a US Republican party talking point about abortion in a thread about a dead lion. I never want to hear anything he has to say again)
Unpalatable as the person's views might be, I would much rather challenge them than ignore them. You won't change a person's mind by ignoring them, you'll just put them under the illusion that there are fewer challengers to their way of thinking.

winjim

Smash the cistern
How do you know he had you on ignore?Unpalatable as the person's views might be, I would much rather challenge them than ignore them. You won't change a person's mind by ignoring them, you'll just put them under the illusion that there are fewer challengers to their way of thinking.
There have been attempts made to engage with that person, on this and other subjects. There really is no point.

My feeling about the ignore function is that if you tell someone you are using it, you automatically lose whatever argument it was you are having, because it's basically a childish way of getting the last word in. I don't ignore individuals, but if I see certain combinations of people on a thread then I can tell it's going to go downhill and I just stick the whole thread on ignore to avoid getting cross.

There are some people I actually ignore, but not by using the ignore function, just by ignoring them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom