Ignoring People

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I rarely ever use the ignore feature, only if I'm getting extremely annoyed by a series of posts. I think I've only ever had 4 people on ignore in total and 3 of those no longer post/are banned (before my time as mod), and the fourth I did ignore for a bit, but it became difficult when I realised they were asking me a question, so back at my normal 0 recently. I didn't see any of their messages but knew they had posted on a page as it would say "show ignored content" or I would see the thread on the Recent Posts page without getting an alert for the thread if theirs was the only new reply on the thread.

I don't see the point in telling someone you are ignoring them, just use it as you need to to avoid getting drawn into heated one on one debate. Or at least that is the way I have used it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ignore thread is a good tool, I use that a lot to avoid bicker-fests from appearing in the new posts. And you can ignore whole subforums too.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I prefer the challenge of mentally ignoring someone. Also it must disrupt a thread more than the poster does? Especially if they are prolific on the thread, and getting quoted all the time?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What I want is not to get an alert to new content, when that new content is only going to be trivial nonsense.
Uhh, that I think is beyond the capability of any software, I think.
How's the software gonna know what you consider trivial?
Maybe you could disable all alerts, then read content from the new posts feed or from your watched threads list?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
But what do I know?
Only @Shaun knows!

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
That doesn't say that you've been blocked and even if it did, that person might just be fibbing.
If I was at the pub, having a lively discussion about Clarence the Lion and the Dentist of Death, and some stranger came over and said "Abortion is worse", I would snub him. It's just weird.
So you say, and I would tell that person that they were weird. So this is how we differ, nothing wrong with that.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yes you can.
Well possibly to an outside observer, not to the person espousing the dogma. Although I think in most cases in an online debate, it's best to imagine yourself trying to convince an impartial observer of your point of view, rather than trying to change the mind of the person you're actually debating. That way lie petty arguments, Godwin and flouncing.

In all honesty, when I started this thread, Shaun was the only person I wanted any response from.
Yep, and every time we post another irrelevant reply, you get another notification. :laugh: Keep it up, guys. :evil:

Top Bottom