Ignoring People

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
There have been attempts made to engage with that person, on this and other subjects. There really is no point.
There is a point, and that point is to openly challenge people that have unpalatable, racist, hateful, or otherwise unacceptable beliefs.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
@r04DiE sometimes you want to come on here to chill and take your brain off the hook for a few minutes from the stresses of the real world not enter into repeated and futile battles of words with someone who's views are entrenched and immutable and incompatible with your own.

There is a time and a place for picking your battles and your enemies and a time to put yourself and your equanimity first.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
@r04DiE sometimes you want to come on here to chill and take your brain off the hook for a few minutes from the stresses of the real world not enter into repeated and futile battles of words with someone who's views are entrenched and immutable and incompatible with your own.

There is a time and a place for picking your battles and your enemies and a time to put yourself and your equanimity first.
TBH I would get more stressed out at the fact that I was not challenging such views. Not that that would especially stress me out, I mean, its only a forum.

winjim

Smash the cistern

I'm just here to talk about bikes really, and the odd light hearted bit of fun, but I occasionally allow myself to get sucked into other arguments, which I usually regret.

swansonj

Guru
As I recall the site rules, the ignore function is billed as being for people who wind you up to the point that your replies might break other site rules. There is no-one here whose views I am unwilling to read. But there are certainly people whose style of posting and whose approach to other posters I find an affront to humanity and who tempt me into injudicious replies in turn. (@User knows who I'm principally talking about...) If I used the ignore function it would be against such - but I would see it as an admission of moral weakness on my part.

How do you know he had you on ignore?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a-week-without-a-helmet.169002/post-3386300

Unpalatable as the person's views might be, I would much rather challenge them than ignore them. You won't change a person's mind by ignoring them, you'll just put them under the illusion that there are fewer challengers to their way of thinking.

If I was at the pub, having a lively discussion about Clarence the Lion and the Dentist of Death, and some stranger came over and said "Abortion is worse", I would snub him. It's just weird.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
How do you know he had you on ignore?Unpalatable as the person's views might be, I would much rather challenge them than ignore them. You won't change a person's mind by ignoring them, you'll just put them under the illusion that there are fewer challengers to their way of thinking.

How do you know if someone has you on ignore, is there a function that tells you whom is ignoring you?

That just led me to a closed helmet thread
It lead to a specific post on a closed helmet thread...
Mark Twain said "it's better to keep your mouth closed, and let people think you are a fool, than to open it, and remove all doubt". You and everyone else on my expanding list of the 'special' should really take heed. This thread is superb at identifying the one's I wish to avoid at all cost, and there is an ignore function ( which is a very welcome feature).

People know they are being ignored because people tell them. It's the CC equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and saying "nah nah nah, I can't hear you"

(To my shame, I have also been guilty of this)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It lead to a specific post on a closed helmet thread...

People know they are being ignored because people tell them. It's the CC equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and saying "nah nah nah, I can't hear you"

(To my shame, I have also been guilty of this)
I did once 'ignore' someone but kept then looking at 'show ignored content' so thought it was a bit pointless' so un-ignored them.

they haven't been on here for a year now though.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@User you could make life easier for yourself by not reading posts by people that annoy you.
Unless even their username in an alert makes your blood boil?
Even if the forum software could accommodate your wishes, you gonna know about the ignored postings by the gaps in the thread.

winjim

Smash the cistern
There is a point, and that point is to openly challenge people that have unpalatable, racist, hateful, or otherwise unacceptable beliefs.
I've just had a quick look back at the threads in question. The poster was robustly challenged, by myself and others, but is either unable or unwilling to actually engage in a debate about their views, or even properly explain what those views are. They just post inflammatory statements and then refuse to discuss the matter further. Both threads had to be moderated, one of them resulted in a thread split. I'm getting cross thinking about it :cursing::laugh:.

You can't use logic to challenge dogma.

Top Bottom