Ignoring People

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In all honesty, when I started this thread, Shaun was the only person I wanted any response from.
Then why did you use a public forum, and not a personal message ("conversation")?

I was sort of hoping that, if I were to provide a list of names, if one of those were the new content, it wouldn't alert me on my watched threads list. That doesn't sound too difficult to me.

It's programmatically quite doable, I'm sure. But how to describe it on the UI? It took four pages to get what you meant here, I can't imagine a clear UI that would give that option. 'People that I still see, but their messages don't affect the "new posts", "watched posts", "alerts" fields'? I can't think of a way to express it, and nor can you or we wouldn't have got it wrong in our followups.

(Just stay away for a few hours, then people you regard as important (or "people you don't regard as unimportant") will have add to most of the threads you care about)

I only ignore one person whose avatar annoys me as it's an injury and I dont like to look at it.

Can shaun put everyone who doesn't post using an iPhone on my ignore list as their opinions are irrelevant?

I only ignore one person whose avatar annoys me as it's an injury and I dont like to look at it.
You don't use an ad-blocker? Quelle Horreur! How can you survive on the internet? If you do, just add the offending avatar to your filter.

I blocked someone because their posts are purple. I couldn't configure adblocker for that. Life is too short for purple prose unless it's "a three-volume novel of more than usually revolting sentimentality".

Can shaun put everyone who doesn't post using an iPhone on my ignore list as their opinions are irrelevant?

You know you can't write software for an iPhone on an iPhone? I'm not giving up my macbook just to make you happy.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Then why did you use a public forum, and not a personal message ("conversation")?

It's programmatically quite doable, I'm sure. But how to describe it on the UI? It took four pages to get what you meant here, I can't imagine a clear UI that would give that option. 'People that I still see, but their messages don't affect the "new posts", "watched posts", "alerts" fields'? I can't think of a way to express it, and nor can you or we wouldn't have got it wrong in our followups.

(Just stay away for a few hours, then people you regard as important (or "people you don't regard as unimportant") will have add to most of the threads you care about)
It's just levels of blacklisting isn't it?

Default is you see all posts by everyone but in the ignore set up you have fully ignore or don't notify me of posts by this person

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
@summerdays can mods ignore posters?
I guess not, otherwise how can they be moderated?
I don't ignore anybody, but I confess to bypass a few ^_^
Mods can ignore people in the same way as others, but obviously if we needed to moderate a thread with ignored content we would need to show it. And it would probably be unlikely that every mod had the same person on ignore. It's just a useful feature to reduce irritation levels.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Well possibly to an outside observer, not to the person espousing the dogma. Although I think in most cases in an online debate, it's best to imagine yourself trying to convince an impartial observer of your point of view, rather than trying to change the mind of the person you're actually debating. That way lie petty arguments, Godwin and flouncing.
Well, the outside observer convinced otherwise is a good thing, the person espousing the dogma convinced is a bonus. Never say never.

It's just levels of blacklisting isn't it?

Default is you see all posts by everyone but in the ignore set up you have fully ignore or don't notify me of posts by this person

If I were developing this feature, the first thing I'd ask from you would be for you to mock up the UI; where you put the option, what phrasing, what would happen if you invoked it etc etc. It's all a bit vague and handwavy.

But as no one else seems to want this feature, I doubt anyone is going to implement it.

Top Bottom