IKEA - Appalling 'Customer Services' a word of warning....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
Had an awful time with them a few months ago, must've been November, wife and daughter ordered a huge wardrobe set, is it called Pax? I was just in charge of picking it up. Got an email with time and date of collection, went along, someone went and grabbed it all, checked it all off against the order form , told me it was all there. I went to put it all in the car, daughter mentioned that there were no baskets, I asked the Ikea person about it, she shrugged it off and said that they probably didn't have any and that I'd get an automatic refund. I asked her if the rest of the order was all there, she said yes.

Got home, whole double wardrobe and doors missing, I should've checked the order there but I was rushing about and didn't have the details on me and made the fatal mistake of trusting them, because, usually, they are really good.

Two hours of holding on the phone to customer services, listening to poxy Abba, got through to a gent, who was absolutely brilliant, very apologetic, and had everything that was missing delivered within 48 hours.

Redeemed themselves in the end, but I will not be going there again. (Unless I want to eat a load of cheap hotdogs)

irw

Quadricyclist
I only visoted Ikea once. A huge store, and once you're sucked into the store via the entrance its a 74 mile walke arpund every department through the one wayh sustem before they release you. Never again.

You need to go more often...In my last full time job, we took to using their 'Samla' storage boxes for pretty much everything. Consequently, every now and then I'd have to do a trip to our local branch to pick up another pile of them- I could be in and out in less than ten minutes once I found and learnt the shortcuts ;)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Had an awful time with them a few months ago, must've been November, wife and daughter ordered a huge wardrobe set, is it called Pax? I was just in charge of picking it up. Got an email with time and date of collection, went along, someone went and grabbed it all, checked it all off against the order form , told me it was all there. I went to put it all in the car, daughter mentioned that there were no baskets, I asked the Ikea person about it, she shrugged it off and said that they probably didn't have any and that I'd get an automatic refund. I asked her if the rest of the order was all there, she said yes.

Got home, whole double wardrobe and doors missing, I should've checked the order there but I was rushing about and didn't have the details on me and made the fatal mistake of trusting them, because, usually, they are really good.

Two hours of holding on the phone to customer services, listening to poxy Abba, got through to a gent, who was absolutely brilliant, very apologetic, and had everything that was missing delivered within 48 hours.

Redeemed themselves in the end, but I will not be going there again. (Unless I want to eat a load of cheap hotdogs)
Don't even think of trying their meatballs or takeaway lager. They are utterly hateful places to visit. The problem is.......their stuff is generally pretty good.

I had held IKEA up to better practices than most, but currently they're hopeless if you have issues with online purchases.

Have just had the wrong items delivered, am supposing somebody has my order whilst I have their grey kitchen doors.
With all stores closed, the only contact is via the Customer Service number - there is no email address, no complaint form. Just a phone number. And it is never answered 5 x 20 mins so far, nothing. Furthermore, all the website and the answering system says the service line is open from 0700 to 2000, called last night at 1900 to be told the call centre is closed.
What to do? I can't keep calling ad infinitum....
Lots of pi55ed-of people on fb too.

Anyone have the same issue?
Any ideas?

I don't understand it, because it's a really bad business model. If a company had sense, they would prioritise complaints, and investigate the cause to try and improve their service.

Not only is that cheaper than the sales they'll lose through a bad reputation, if the complaints team are put on sales commission, it's really good way to increase sales, as once the people see you value their custom, and are genuinely trying to resolve the issue, it's a great opportunity to encourage them to buy additional items there and then.

johnblack

Über Member
Don't even think of trying their meatballs or takeaway lager. They are utterly hateful places to visit. The problem is.......their stuff is generally pretty good.
The wardrobe I've fitted is absolutely bullet proof. They designed a kitchen for us 5 years ago, including dishwasher and fridge freezer. The service was brilliant and the quality is excellent, plus they put it all on interest free over four years, including the subbed out fitting. Couldn't have been happier apart from their finance is supplied by Ikano who are totally inept and at the time were so backwards in their process'.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don't understand it, because it's a really bad business model. If a company had sense, they would prioritise complaints, and investigate the cause to try and improve their service.

Not only is that cheaper than the sales they'll lose through a bad reputation, if the complaints team are put on sales commission, it's really good way to increase sales, as once the people see you value their custom, and are genuinely trying to resolve the issue, it's a great opportunity to encourage them to buy additional items there and then.
There is a lot of research which shows clearly that people who've been let down by a company and then receive what they consider good service in putting things right are more loyal to the company than if they hadn't been let down in the first place.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm so disappointed. They say "everyone has his price", but I assumed Fabbers had principles. You could depend on him.

Seems his price is a crappy IKEA door ... :sad:
Point of order, it’s a Kungfors metal shelf for my kitchen wall (for saucepans etc). Some things matter....:ohmy:

Stephenite

Membå
UPDATE:

Called helpline at 0702 and got through straight away. Problem sorted. Mentioned the impossibility to het through and he said they are recruiting another 280 customer service operators...what took them so long?
Funny you should ask...

IKEA worldwide has been going through a transformation of it's online delivery services over the past few months. The move towards more online orders has been discussed for a while but the change had to happen abruptly (more or less overnight) due to, you guessed it, corona. Customers have eagerly adopted this approach and most IKEA stores are breaking sales records. So there have been massive changes in operating practices in these stores, including retraining and taking on of new staff. There have been, and still are, obstacles to overcome to provide to a profitable service, and to (not least) maintain employment for it's workforce under these trying times.

I know the people at IKEA and, I know, they are trying.

..very trying..

Top Bottom