iLB's ride to India ...progress report...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gez73

Veteran
Vlsb5ts.gif

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Just found this thread, terrific. Hope the wheel and rack get sorted out. I think everyone has covered what might be possible: weight redistribution or weight reduction of equipment, epoxy glue, re tensioning spokes, etc. Another option* may be to relace the front rim to the back, and the back rim to front as the front wheel is taking less weight, but then again, not sure I'd want a front wheel to fail (would rather the rear, thanks). Since he does have disk brakes at least in a pinch he may be able to lace up a different rim or even different rim size (assuming the right spoke length.). That's tough one, here's hoping.....

*assuming he has the ability to remove the cassette and has a spoke wrench

Best of luck!

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Likewise, thanks Ian

Glad you are doing this, Ian.
Thanks

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Whakhan Corridor, Northeastern Afghanistan.

The horns of the legendary Marco Polo sheep frequently decorated the road side...sadly as close as I would be getting to one on this trip.
upload_2016-8-28_19-36-25.png

Some of the riders I met coming in the opposite direction seemed to be on the verge of tears when recounting their experiences, but with lunch stops like this you can maintain some sanity between all the uphill pushes and constant restarts as the front wheel loses traction time after time.

upload_2016-8-28_19-37-30.png

Despite the majority of the opening 100k of the Wakhan Valley being on semi decent tarmac it didn't take long for the surface to deteriorate significantly. Thus making photo opportunities ever more appealing versus battling the washboard roads and sand.
upload_2016-8-28_19-39-34.png

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sadly my optimistic schedule of 4 days to make it through to the Kyrgyz border proved far to ambitious... The village of Alichur greeted me with the warm embrace of a fever for two nights in a row, rendering me so weak I could barely walk to the outside toilet.
Forced to concede defeat, I waited 6 hours to hitch in an old Russian truck to Murghab...with the bicycle and gear rolling around in the roar Yak hides that were in the back. Before anxiously strapping the bike to the top of a 4x4 to make the border on time. Further inspection revealed that the carnage of the Wakhan had cracked 80% of the welds on the rear rack as well, leaving the poor Jamis in a sorry state.

upload_2016-9-1_19-37-11.png

Top Bottom