iLB's ride to India ...progress report...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
Can you source the components for a wheel build and take them with you?

Possibly, but if all goes to hell I will have to take a ride as far as Osh... Which has a decent bazaar as far as I know.

The rim is cracked in 6 to 8 places so simply detensioning one spoke won't work.

How much weight could you shed?
or re-distribute.

macp

Guru
Read the whole thread and loved it but its getting tense now. Really hoping for some kind of result with the wheel. The very very best of luck & regards to you.

iLB

Hello there
Wisdom may dictate that I take the more traffic heavy main road, to increase the chance of rescue as and when the rim capitulates.

Interestingly a Swiss guy staying at a the same hostel has the same rim in 26" flavour, with reinforced eyelets, but has also cracked it in several places.

@iLB @ianrauk

it doesn't help your time critical situation but is it worth contacting the manufacturer and offering to send it back for research - they may offer to hep out as a result. or at least give you a steer as to where to get one

if you let me know, ill send an email on your behalf or try to contact them via telephone.

iLB

Hello there
@iLB @ianrauk

it doesn't help your time critical situation but is it worth contacting the manufacturer and offering to send it back for research - they may offer to hep out as a result. or at least give you a steer as to where to get one

if you let me know, ill send an email on your behalf or try to contact them via telephone.

Thanks for the offer, I was working at Evans prior to this so I'm in touch with my old store and they are contacting Mavic for me.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It might be worth "stop-drilling" a small (say 2mm) hole at the end of the each stress crack. This helps prevent the cracks from growing longer and longer because the stress is spread out over a much larger area. It's a technique widely used in the repair of aluminium boat hulls and plane skins. It won't fix the problem but it should buy you some time.
http://www.askbob.aero/content/cracks-aircraft-structures

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Day 151. Khorog, Tajikistan

Formed an on the road alliance with a Swedish couple and Dutch dude as we battled the appalling road conditions on the first stretch of the M41 - here they are descending from the 3252m Saghir Dasht pass after we spent the night camped at 2500m.

This descent would prove especially brutal for my bicycle- snapping one of the welds on my new rear rack and also causing multiple stress fractures to appear in the rear rim. I'm hoping it holds out as far as Bishkek.

upload_2016-8-19_9-32-57.png

Top Bottom