iLB's ride to India ...progress report...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
Can't we get some spiked tyres ready for him for when it snows ??

Having respected this thread from a distance, and followed the intrepid Andy via his words and deeds - testing and "character-building" to say the least - I thought back to days of yore...when Ian didn't like the dark and 'we' were all just getting to know each other.
I remember a kid with a torso about the size of one of my thighs, bundled and dishevelled (think a Primark clothes rack, on sale day etc) perched upon his white Spesh. He was all-in at Gatwick airport, and it needed pain chocolats and coffee to encourage him to Nirvana of Greg's delicious sausages,on the Madeira at Brighton.
I used to ride back from night rides - before deciding to form a beer club to eliminate such rash behaviour - and, on that night, we did - under the guidance of Brilliant Brian. In the revered company of @TopCat and @arallsopp "Young Andy" got his first 100 miler under his belt. Happy days!
Go Andy!
1059xk8.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Having respected this thread from a distance, and followed the intrepid Andy via his words and deeds - testing and "character-building" to say the least - I thought back to days of yore...when Ian didn't like the dark and 'we' were all just getting to know each other.
I remember a kid with a torso about the size of one of my thighs, bundled and dishevelled (think a Primark clothes rack, on sale day etc) perched upon his white Spesh. He was all-in at Gatwick airport, and it needed pain chocolats and coffee to encourage him to Nirvana of Greg's delicious sausages,on the Madeira at Brighton.
I used to ride back from night rides - before deciding to form a beer club to eliminate such rash behaviour - and, on that night, we did - under the guidance of Brilliant Brian. In the revered company of @TopCat and @arallsopp "Young Andy" got his first 100 miler under his belt. Happy days!
Go Andy!
1059xk8.jpg
We have followed his career with interest. I remember his delightfully wicked grin at hpc the first time I turned up on something other than my old, since sold, EBC Tourer. "That looks much faster than that mountain bike thing you had last time" he said. He was right. It, the black 'un, that took me from London to John O'Groats has since been cannibalised to build the grey 'un. Which is even quicker! I think he would be pleased.

The boy was a revelation, the man is an inspiration.

And of course he is a fellow roarer leet owner.

Jody

Stubborn git
Absolutely awe inspiring thread @iLB and thanks for keeping it updated @ianrauk. I have been reading this thread from the start and it just keeps getting better. At first I thought iLB was a little crazy for setting off on a ride like this but you have some great motivation and perseverance. .

Well done and keep spinning. I really hope you make your goal.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Day 137.. finally an update Dushanbe, Tajikistan.

After receiving and fitting the new pannier rack. Andy was off... however without the tube of hydration tabs I sent. They may have turned up after, they may have not.
Anyway.. Andy set of on the 30th for Dushanbe, Tajikistan. He had to skidaddle to get to the crossing before his Visa ran out. The first day he managed 130km, in his own works "On empty stomach, tank is empty and stomach not happy".
The next day he only managed 15km before turning around after "throwing up a couple of times".. The stomach bug had hit hard. After resting up for a couple of days he was off, once again heading for Dushanbe.

Text from the lad earlier this week. "Got to Greenhouse Hostel in Dushanbe a couple of hours ago. Still feel terrible. Leaving Guzar on Tuesday but with the Visa running out today there is no choice. Got a lot of calories to catch up on now"

He even managed to send me a nice pic.. good lad he is
Andy Chelsea.jpg

So.. he's back on track.
This just in.

Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
After weeks of long, flat, straight miles through the desert Uzbekistan saved the best til last when it finally unveiled this Martian landscape. It is truely a country of stark contrasts. After being hit by another stomach bug at the weekend I was faced with a final scramble to enter Tajikistan, just about making it on the day my visa ran out. Will be catching up on some calories and resting up in Dushanbe whilst awaiting my GBAO permit for the Pamir Highway.
upload_2016-8-5_12-9-7.png

iLB

Hello there
I can certainly recommend not eating for three days, followed by three hilly days of riding where you mostly eat boiled eggs and bread as a rapid weight loss method.

Despite some hilarious incompetence where they filled out two permits with my derails instead of one for me and one for a Czech friend the permit to go to the Pamir and the Wakhan valley in the border with Afghanistan is now sorted.

These remote mountains are really what I have been dreaming of.

iLB

Hello there
Also if anyone has any outside the box thinking on dealing with hand pain on the bike I am all ears.

As far as Kazakhstan I had no problems but with the bad roads I start to get inflammation in my palms and wrists despite frequently changing hand position. And now I get pins and needles after just 15 minutes of riding, I'm putting some extra padding on the tops now but if you another idea?

iLB

Hello there
On my short 200-miler I had this zipped tied on my bars, about six inches either side of the stem.

Plumber's lagging. It was very effective.

View attachment 138090

I didn't know there was such a thing as a short 200 miler. I have found something similar at a bicycle stall in the bazaar here and have followed it up with a layer of inner tube. Hopefully ian can provide snaps later on.

Apart from rotating the bars there is no scope to raise the position, I already have the opposite of a slammed stem.

Top Bottom