iLB's ride to India ...progress report...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Day 113 Nukus Karakalpakistan

There need to be some perks to these 04.45 alarms to beat the heat. (Andy has been heading out at 5am to get 100km's by miday so then to get out of the sun)
upload_2016-7-12_14-50-4.png

At the end of my first full day riding in Uzbekistan, I have never been so happy to join a queue of guys washing with a hosepipe. It was a straight 140km ride between towns without a single building or feature on the landscape to distract from the intense desert heat and head wind.
upload_2016-7-12_14-56-58.png

After a morale boosting chat with an Italian hitchiker I set off again only to find I had sheared a bolt supporting my rear rack under the load of the additional water I have been carrying. Attempts to repair it road side were futile and the as the road had again deteriorated I didn't want to risk further damage. After some waving down a car and some negotiating I had a ride to the nearest town and managed to drill out the offending bolt the next morning.
upload_2016-7-12_14-58-13.png

A ship in a very dry dock at the town of Moynaq, Karakalpakistan. Unbelievably this town was on the coast of the Aral Sea only 50 years ago and once had a thriving fishing industry. The Aral has no retreated over 150km and shrunk dramatically leaving only a graveyard of former fishing boats on the outskirts of town.
upload_2016-7-12_14-59-18.png

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Superb.
Brilliant thread, keep going and be safe.

iLB

Hello there
Wow, this really is a beautiful online community. Thank you to all.

Tomorrow I will head south towards Khiva and then back across the desert to Bukhara and beyond.

Some further storm clouds on the horizon in that the already difficult Chinese visa process may have become impossible. Waiting for confirmation from a couple of visa agencies at the moment. Forcing considerations of plan B to hitchhike back to blighty, or plan C to fly to Australia. Or plan D...

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Day 123 Still in Bukhara

Dawn in the Kyzylkum desert, the only time the heat is vaguely tolerable.
The stiffness and lack of sleep meant I didn't think I would make the 180km to Bukhara in one day as hoped- but after a siesta in the middle of the day I felt refreshed enough to give it a crack.
The sunset over my right shoulder with about 30km to go. Lights flicked on and the road condition continued to decline and for the third time in two weeks I sheared a rear rack bolt. 10km from my goal I managed to flag down a truck to carry me over the line.
Fingers crossed the new rack will arrive from the UK today, and I can find a drill to drill out the snapped bolt again.

upload_2016-7-22_10-52-10.png

Top Bottom