iLB's ride to India ...progress report...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
How long a news-update gap do we wait before sending out a search party ?

Seems like WiFi is pretty thin on the ground in the desert. Arrived in Beyneu this afternoon, plan is to rest tomorrow before heading to the border with Uz on Tuesday ready to cross when they open up on Wednesday. Damn it is hot, almost too hot to sleep in the tent.

I'm sure ian is out riding but will share the snaps later, or you can sign up to Instagram and find them yourselves - _cater_Andrew

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Day 105 Beyneu, Mangghystaū, Kazakhstan

Taking five out on the steppe in Mangystau, Kazakhstan - because why not when you are nailing it to do 15kph and it is hot as hell. Pretty special to tune into BBC world service and catch the final km with Cavendish snatching yellow in the TdF last night.

upload_2016-7-3_20-58-43.png

Sunset over the Ustyurt desert - Mangystau , Kazakhstan.
upload_2016-7-3_21-0-40.png

Whatever else - any chance of getting off the road for bit? If you can? I don't know where, or what there is just a few km from the road ----- but it'll be stuff of memories?

Different part of the world, different times, and I wasn't on a bike. But, in Egypt, Coptic monasteries miles from the highway; or "fragile" Bedouin communities, astonishingly tenacious in maintaining traditional ways of life, yet flexible in adapting to their changing environment; or the oases. In Yemen, celebrating Eid in a village 50 miles from the nearest highway; and rounding a corner into a valley where it had rained just a few days earlier ....... for the first time in God knows how many years, and the ground was carpeted in yellow flowers.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi all. On his trip through the desert, the pannier rack on Andy's bike broke. (From the weight of all the water). It's a bodge fix but he needs a new one. Has anyone got a spare rack they don't use for a 700 wheel that you could post. I will reimburse you the cost of the rack and the postage.
Cheers.
Ian.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Hi all. On his trip through the desert, the pannier rack on Andy's bike broke. (From the weight of all the water). It's a bodge fix but he needs a new one. Has anyone got a spare rack they don't use for a 700 wheel that you could post. I will reimburse you the cost of the rack and the postage.
Cheers.
Ian.
you have pm

Or hopefully get one donated, if anyone deserves good will, it's him.

I don't have one but would be willing to help with costs.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A little update.

Had a text from Andy.
"The heat is insane with stopping points a full days ride apart and no shade inbetween. Everything feels very tough."

Andy is currently heading for the city of Bukhara in Uzbekistan. He's going to find a hotel to hole up for a few days and wait for the pannier rack kindly donated and sent by @Gez73 to arrive so he can be on his way.

upload_2016-7-12_9-18-32.png

Top Bottom