"I'll be turning left"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I sometimes wish there were a clearly understood hand signal to convey just that message to a following motorist.

I'm thinking of the situation where I plan to turn left within - say - the next half mile. I can't use an ordinary left turn signal of course. I thought about extending the left hand up, then turning the hand left at the wrist with a little jerk. Has anyone any ideas?

There are of course three types of overtaking motorist. There's the one who must-overtake-the-cyclist-soonest-whatever-the-cost-because-they-shouldn't-be-on-the-road-anyway. Can't do anything about him/her. There's the one (probably a cyclist himself) who always waits for a safe opportunity, recognises that a cyclist needs as much room as a car, and safely overtakes when the road is clear. Good. And there's the third type, the one who recognises the needs of cyclists, but still thinks to himself "I-really-don't-want-to-be-stuck-at-12mph-for-the-next-fifteen-miles" sort. So he/she starts getting impatient. I think this last may be the majority. I just want to give that third person the message - hang on please!

Matthames

Über Member
I don't think there is much you can do about the third type except maybe manipulating your own road space.

You will find that the second type could also be the type of driver that takes pride in their driving and has probably done either the ROSPA or IAM advanced driving test.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Make them wait, and indicate when it's clear what it means.

It would be nice to be able to tell everyone your every intention, but unless a signal is formally adopted, and adopted by everyone, and understood by everyone, it's useless. Esp since many people fail to understand or use the signals and rules we have got.

OP
OP

661-Pete

Of course I know there's nothing in the HC to cover this! I suppose there's nothing one can do, go into primary if I really have to, but I'm reluctant to do that on a fast rural 'A' road, use the 'keep back' gesture if I really must, ditto. Or let Mr/Ms Impatient pass by....

This is a typical example, I often go along this bit of the A272 (which is usually a lot busier than when Google visited!). As you can see, double whites for quite a long stretch (meaning it's illegal to overtake me and cross the lines when I'm doing over 10mph. Usually I'll be doing about 13-15 on that stretch). And usually I'm making for the turning left a little further on, Stairbridge Lane. Not very much further, but out of view. I feel Mr/Ms Decent Motorist would be happy to hang back, knowing this...

Vincealot

I had a litte incident earlier while trying to negotiate a left turning. (wish I had my helmet cam turned on!)

Just went over a junction at about 22mph. Not far down the road is my left turning at a set of lights and ped crossing. I go into primary as theres no point any motorist over taking me here. I'll be traveling alot faster but will also need room to turn left. I usually go out to the right find my line and take corners quite close. I've found if I slow down and signal people always speed up and attempt an over take.

My spidey sense's were tingling and I could feel a motorist approaching (had my headphones in listening to the radio on my iphone). I turned my head to see a BMW right on my back wheel virtually touching. I signal and shout "You want to get any closer?" He points to the curb and tells me to get off the ****ing road." I say "**** off you fat lazy ****", he then aims his car and drives at me, forcing me to go onto the pavement and then proceeds to race off. Unfortunatly the roundabout further down was clear and with the on coming wind I was unable to catch him up and give him more then a piece of my mind.

Wish I had it on camera I'd of reported it to the police.

:sad:

400bhp

Guru
It's an interesting point.

Some other slow moving "vehicles" for example a tractor, are usually not on the highway long so not long to wait. With a cyclist its difficult to tell.

Cycling in this country still isn't popular enough to be a relatively regular occurance on the roads in many parts so there will always be uncertainties in some drivers minds.

Top Bottom