Illegal bicycle lights, so powerful they burn paper!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

1wheelrider

Just before Christmas I was cycling home using a pair of lights I had bought off of Amazon from China and was stopped by the police as they had reports from MOP's complaining that my lights dazzled them. Alright, I had 2 lights on the handle bars which maybe was a stupid idea but part of my journey goes up unlit single track country roads and these lights lit up everything for a good 200 yards. They seized the lights and investigated them, finding that the magnification on the bulb and power of it was 1 million lumens and the beam was so powerful that when you put them together, they can bun through paper! I tried to contest it in court and was unsuccessful and fined £65.00 plus costs. Its pretty stupid considering you get fined for riding without lights so either way I would have been fined.

I bought some more to test if they can burn paper.

[Link to video removed]

Do not buy these lights, they will end up being seized.

Last edited by a moderator:

outlash

also available in orange
What lights are they?

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Just before Christmas I was cycling home using a pair of lights I had bought off of Amazon from China and was stopped by the police as they had reports from MOP's complaining that my lights dazzled them. Alright, I had 2 lights on the handle bars which maybe was a stupid idea but part of my journey goes up unlit single track country roads and these lights lit up everything for a good 200 yards. They seized the lights and investigated them, finding that the magnification on the bulb and power of it was 1 million lumens and the beam was so powerful that when you put them together, they can bun through paper! I tried to contest it in court and was unsuccessful and fined £65.00 plus costs. Its pretty stupid considering you get fined for riding without lights so either way I would have been fined.

I bought some more to test if they can burn paper and uploaded a video showing it.

[Link to video Removed]

Do not buy these lights, they will end up being seized.
Its such a shame that our utterly incompetent uk police don't take the same stance on motorists. On my commute to work, every day I see cars driving with front fog lights on, cars with headlights out and many with misaligned headlights which dazzle every other road user, bet none of them ever get stopped by the police!! I'm actually surprised they managed to drag themselves out of the police station, perhaps they were out getting the take away!!

Last edited by a moderator:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's not so much the brightness that's the problem with them, it's daft chunts that, rather than pointing them down at the road, have them pointing straight forwards dazzling fellow cyclists and motorists. Seems very prevalent on the well lit streets of London. The angle of the light positioned in the picture once the video has run is a prime example.

Whilst it may sound harsh, I'm glad you were fined.

BigAl68

Über Member
To be honest if you have massive lights and aim them straight at other road users I have no sympathy. I use a double lamp cree led but rarely have both running together and have them pointing at the road and even shield them when passing other cyclists on the cycle path. I would like to say all other cyclists do this also but alas this isn't the case. One nobber has two multiple leds on his bars and another on his helmet. You can't see for a good whole after he has tried to burn out my retinas when he passed.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I have a lupine Betty (1500lumens) that I run on road. As the mount is a rubber band, I always nudge it down when there's something coming the other way and usually only run it at 60%. A blinded driver isn't making anyone safe.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Anyone who rides with really really bright lights (not talking normal seeing with lights) and has them positioned straight ahead rather than slightly down is really stupid! Yes people can see you are there but instead they avoid looking in your direction and may have their vision blinded momentarily. How does that make it safer?

On a cycle path you definitely don't need them pointing straight ahead towards other cyclists, I meet some of those types on my morning commute, seems to be less of a problem in the evening for some reason.

BigAl68

Über Member
Anyone who rides with really really bright lights (not talking normal seeing with lights) and has them positioned straight ahead rather than slightly down is really stupid! Yes people can see you are there but instead they avoid looking in your direction and may have their vision blinded momentarily. How does that make it safer?

On a cycle path you definitely don't need them pointing straight ahead towards other cyclists, I meet some of those types on my morning commute, seems to be less of a problem in the evening for some reason.

It is weird that the idiots in the morning seem to thin out by tea time. Maybe they are scared of people like me shouting at them twice in a day?

Top Bottom