Illegal coppers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So did you give them one then?

I only had the equivilent of £2 on me so he had to accept that. The police here are eminently corruptable and tend to target foreigners as they think we have more money. It's a shame as they are not badly paid, but corruprion is endemic here.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I see PCs and PCSOs riding on the pavement all the time. It's not as though it's empty either.

Sandra6

Veteran
I once saw two police officers walking along the cycle path, when I got to the end I found their bikes chained to the fence. Odd.
I don't think the OP is being holier than thou, police officers should set an example, they can't go around issuing fixed penalties for offences they then commit themselves.

pablo666

Über Member
I once saw two police officers walking along the cycle path, when I got to the end I found their bikes chained to the fence. Odd.
I don't think the OP is being holier than thou, police officers should set an example, they can't go around issuing fixed penalties for offences they then commit themselves.

And how many FPN do you think the local police have issued on those roads in the last 50 years.....In my experience I'd guess a fat round zero. Police don't consider riding on the footpath as something they should be involved in enforcing. It's really not a priority! I repeat, setting good examples has not stopped the vast majority of minor traffic offences..ever! I wished we lived in a perfect world as well, but hey ho I don't and professionals have to be pragmatic rather than 'set an example that no one will follow anyway'. In the Real world, the police are not perfect specimens of humanity that never can or should do anything wrong, solve every crime and stop every speeding, parking, (insert your favorite single issue focus here)..shame isn't it?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
And how many FPN do you think the local police have issued on those roads in the last 50 years.....In my experience I'd guess a fat round zero. Police don't consider riding on the footpath as something they should be involved in enforcing. It's really not a priority! I repeat, setting good examples has not stopped the vast majority of minor traffic offences..ever! I wished we lived in a perfect world as well, but hey ho I don't and professionals have to be pragmatic rather than 'set an example that no one will follow anyway'. In the Real world, the police are not perfect specimens of humanity that never can or should do anything wrong, solve every crime and stop every speeding, parking, (insert your favorite single issue focus here)..shame isn't it?

As a kid this bloke told me to get off my bike and walk as I was riding on the path, told him to sod off until he produced his warrant card and I jumped off my bike as fast as you like, he told me not to be a cheeky bugger and to get home. Don't think there was such a thing as an FPN then.

Stu9

I only had the equivilent of £2 on me so he had to accept that. The police here are eminently corruptable and tend to target foreigners as they think we have more money. It's a shame as they are not badly paid, but corruprion is endemic here.

I know what I'd them

D

Deleted member 20519

No it isn't.

It is easy to imagine scenarios:

Pedestrian steps out in front of unlit cyclist
A car swerves to avoid a late seen unlit cyclist and hits another car, or pedestrian, or other cyclist legitimately overtaking the car.
etc

Car hits cyclist, driver has to live with himself knowing that he's killed someone and he'll go over the different scenarios on how he could have avoided it for the rest of his life.

PK99

Legendary Member
As a kid this bloke told me to get off my bike and walk as I was riding on the path, told him to sod off until he produced his warrant card and I jumped off my bike as fast as you like, he told me not to be a cheeky bugger and to get home. Don't think there was such a thing as an FPN then.

IIRC the penalty from the local bobby then was a CRE

Sandra6

Veteran
My son was given a verbal warning about cycling on the pavement, followed up by a letter to me about teaching him better cycling practices! Just this past month a couple of people in the shop have mentioned that their teens have also been told off for cycling on pavements by police officers. They may not be issuing fpn's but they are certainly going some way to enforce the law at least in some districts.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Forget the CPSO's riding on pavements without lights at night. None of the policecars that came in and out of thier station, 100 yds from my house, have any working indicators. They come out of thier carpark having to turn left or right, and in less than 100yds, both ways, come to crossroads. Its unheard of to see any of them signal thier intentions at any of these turns.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Car hits cyclist, driver has to live with himself knowing that he's killed someone and he'll go over the different scenarios on how he could have avoided it for the rest of his life.
You mean by e.g. driving at a speed such that he can stop in the distance he can see to be clear?

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
TBH I find that police vans are some of the most well driven around me.
Earlier in the week, I was just cycling along and a police van came behind me on a stretch of very narrow road. There were one or two chances that an impatient person would have taken but the van remained behind me.
We then entered a one way system where he still remained behind me and eventually he turned off the road. He had been patient for about half a mile which anyone else would have been annoyed at.

From some recent advice on here, I have been letting the odd car pass me when safe to do so if they are the only person behind me. I have also improved a bit with my awareness of what is around me. It has probably come from fitting my rear camera to my bike again.

Top Bottom