Illegal driver tries to overturn sentence...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Let me guess, his five year ban runs at the same time as his 5 year jail sentence.

with an order to take a re-test at its completion.
How can you take a re-test if you have never taken the test in the first place?

ohnovino

Large Member
According to the CPS guidelines, to get 5 years for death by dangerous driving would imply one or two aggravating factors. The appeal court judges ruled he had a least five (excessive speed, failure to stop, no insurance, no licence, fled the country), which should have given him a sentence of 7-14 years. And yet he still had the nerve to appeal.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Let me guess, his five year ban runs at the same time as his 5 year jail sentence.

How can you take a re-test if you have never taken the test in the first place?

It looks like he'll be deported under the 2 years or more inside guidelines.So as soon as he's released he could end up on a plane back to Poland according to one guy on the CTC site.

Someone clarified the retest thing over at CTC too, but I forget... one of the members there got knarky as he thought road safety HAD to be about bikes and the CTC all in one and got stroppy on me, so I got distracted. :blush:

Malcolm44

This type of thing raises many other questions
No offence ment against "non British" people but:
  1. Do their cars used on our roads pass a MOT test
  2. Do they pay road tax (oops sorry Vechile Exice Duty)
  3. is their driving test of a similar standard as ours
  4. does prolonged use of a left hand drive car cause additional hazards

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
This type of thing raises many other questions
No offence ment against "non British" people but:
  1. Do their cars used on our roads pass a MOT test
  2. Do they pay road tax (oops sorry Vechile Exice Duty)
  3. is their driving test of a similar standard as ours
  4. does prolonged use of a left hand drive car cause additional hazards

I beleive there is a 6 month cut off date when the vehicle and the driver have to go through UK regulation. So the driver will have to obtain a UK standard driving licence (a couple of work mates have had to do this), and I think the car has to undergo an MOT.

A cop is still able to stop and check any car, even a holiday maker's
There was a little discussion of this on the CTC forums iirc.

Ste T.

Guru
I find cases like this so frustrating because of the sentence available to the judge. The media never tells you what the maximum could have been. IMHO it should be included in every report, you shouldn't have to go looking for it. Maybe it's because they don't want people stirred up.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I beleive there is a 6 month cut off date when the vehicle and the driver have to go through UK regulation. So the driver will have to obtain a UK standard driving licence (a couple of work mates have had to do this), and I think the car has to undergo an MOT.

A cop is still able to stop and check any car, even a holiday maker's
There was a little discussion of this on the CTC forums iirc.
there is a six month cut-off date, but a lot of folk are taking day trips to Calais and they think that entitles them to run on Polish or Lithuanian insurance, which is both cheap and no good.......

Top Bottom