I'm 60 and can do 10mph all day long

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freddyflintstone

Is there a 60's group / club that I could join to do this route
with a bit of meandering site seeing
I checked a Website and they wanted £1650 plus £45 a night single supplement

Going full blast is just not me

Many Thanks

Mozzy

I'm almost 60 and would love to do it. Start one end, stop at lots of Inns for grub and liquid refreshment, a nights kip and do it all over again. Couldn't care less how long it took with the right company:bicycle:

Sorry Freddy; don't know of any mature groups doing it. I'm still stuck firmly in my 30's ... in my head that is:rofl:

vorsprung

Veteran
When I toured Holland with Mrs V and V Jnr, keeping up an average speed of 10kph was over optimistic. 10mph would be fast

60+ here, and keen to be tempted into LEGOG. Not sure about pace but recon 50-60 miles a day is OK currently and I guess I could get fitter in preparation. What kind of daily miles are you thinking?

terryh

HI Freddy, another 60 year old desperate to do LEJOG. What are your thoughts on when, number of days,B & Bs, cheap hotels? etc etc etc. I am in Essex and currently up to 60 miles a day, at your pace or only slightly quicker. I was thinking of a 12 dayer mid to late Aug/ Sept would be brill. Would be great to get a like minded few to spur each other on.
If anybody fancies this from my neck of the woods lets chat. Cheers.

Davidc

Guru
I'm 60 at the end of June next year, and I'm looking for someone to do it with.

My idea of how is to book into reasonable price hotels (e.g. Travelodge) or B&Bs about 60 to 70 miles apart and take a couple of weeks about it.

If anyone starts getting a group together to do it let me know!

gbs

Guru
Well, I easily qualify on age and rolling average criteria but I am not sure about endurance. Count me with David C - no tents please.

snorri

Legendary Member
It sounds as if you guys are not severely limited regarding the number of days you can allocate for a LEJOG, in which case I would say to you "Go for it", and stop looking for someone to do it with and generally making excuses.^_^
Without time constraints, there is no need to set targets, just cycle as far as you feel like very day. Doing it off peak, accommodation will be easy to find with the aid of local tourist information offices, so no need to book in advance which merely introduces stress. If you have a mechanical you could be under pressure to reach a pre booked location. You don't even need to tell anyone of your plans, then if you get tired at say Carlisle and go home, your friends will still be impressed when you inform them you have cycled the length of Scotland or England. Draw an imaginary line on the map from LE to Bristol, and look for the closest side roads to that line, and that is your route, repeat between Bristol and Carlisle and that's half your route planning done already. You can always get advice on this forum for fine tuning of your chosen route, so start plotting now....... http://www.getamap.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/

I find the most difficult part of any multi day tour, is getting beyond my own front door.:smile:

As a 70 yo, I feel honoured to be amoung youngsters, Last year when I did my Durness to Dover route, I did 50-60 miles a day, I was riding by myself, but was not by myself as all along the route I come across other cyclists who either rode along for a while with me or just stopped to chat. I would say allow 15 day to do LEJOG then if you do it quicker it a bonus.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm 60 at the end of June next year, and I'm looking for someone to do it with.

I think you need to work on your dating site profile a bit more... ;)

It might be worth interested folk looking at the CTC website:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/

They have LEJOG routes like this:

http://www.ctc-maps.org.uk/routes/route/1024

And joining the CTC and your local group might help find companions.

From my touring experience (mostly in France), 50-60 miles a day is a nice pace that allows for morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea - you can tell I'm mostly cafe-fixated!

A lady I know, in her 70s or 80s, did LEJOG in two batches - LE to Carlisle over two weeks one summer, and the rest over two weeks the next summer. She did it on a Brompton, so that if on any day she didn't feel up to it, she could easily get a bus or train to her overnight stop. But she never needed to.

OP
OP
Freddyflintstone

Freddyflintstone

Thanks for the response
I am all for getting a group together
I am self employed so very flexible on dates
50 to 60 miles a day sounds good
It has to be B&B's Hotels etc (done enough camping and sleeping "wet" (thru the rain -no jokes please))
I rember ski-ing - and going with a fast group. By the time I caught up they were off again, with me getting no rest.
So I am all for "going at a pace that suits all". After all I would like to enjoy the trip

OP
OP
Freddyflintstone

Freddyflintstone

Anybody near the Transpenine Trail. I am about 1mile away
We could possibly meet up, do some miles, and discuss it further

Regards

Top Bottom