"I'm a distant relative of William The Conqueror"!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Aye, but the folklore focuses on the raiders.
I recall being told about the Vikings in junior school (1970s). In retrospect I reckon the teacher's 'research' into the subject was watching The Vikings (1958, starring Kirk Douglas). Every doc I've watched in the last twenty or thirty years about post-Roman, pre-Norman Britain has focused on the traders and settlers more than the raiders. I expect education on the subject has changed also in those decades.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's a woman down my local pub who's a 'devout catholic'. Some bloke's told her that he's a descendant of some priest who was executed in the times when Henry the Eight was purging Catholicism from England. She views him as some kind of saintly figure. He says he's not religious and doesn't see himself as how she sees him. He must be about 25 generations on from this priest. :rolleyes:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
There's a woman down my local pub who's a 'devout catholic'. Some bloke's told her that he's a descendant of some priest who was executed in the times when Henry the Eight was purging Catholicism from England. She views him as some kind of saintly figure. He says he's not religious and doesn't see himself as how she sees him. He must be about 25 generations on from this priest. :rolleyes:
Sounds like he's "in" there then ;)

winjim

Smash the cistern
Should a catholic priest not have been celibate?

Er... hang on a minute...

You beat me to it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Shame more of em aren't. :whistle:

To prove my above story here's a photo of Mrs V with her brother and sister on a recent day out on The Keighley and Worth Valley railway

MV5BMTYzODgyMTMxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTA1NjIwMjE_._V1_SY1000_CR0_0_1234_1000_AL_.jpg

There was a programme on TV last week, possibly an old one, with Dr Alice Roberts, and the scientist bods of some university had done some DNA mapping. The gene pool was fairly limited, and indicated that the accepted "violent invading foreign hoardes" were no more than folklore and the genetic evidence was of mostly peaceful co-existence. There were geographic genetic differences, with Wales, Cornwall, being quite distinct to Central England, and a lot of commonality between Ireland, Scotland and Northumberland.

If that's the case it seems the UK has been a bit funny about furriners for a very long time...

Aye, but the folklore focuses on the raiders.

Then as now.

Top Bottom