I'm a sheep

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickr

Über Member
I’ve joined the herds of cyclists with backpacks and no mudguards.

My Planet X front mudguard has always been a liability. Right from the start two clips fastening the metal stays to the plastic fasteners on the forks would occasionally pop out. I glued them in, but this was never a good fix. On Monday after hitting a particularly vicious bump at speed, I lost both clips. Hooray, I thought now for some proper SKS mudguards. I removed the remains of the front mudguard and the rear on Monday night. To make the removal and fitting easier I also removed my carrier. Since then I’ve been guardless and pannierless. Its weird, but in a refreshing way. The bike feels very agile and fast. I’m sure it’s no faster, but it really feels it. I’m enjoying it so much I’m in two minds as to whether to bother replacing the guards and refitting the rack.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Wait for it to be rainy and cold. Skunk stripes are horrible.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I’ve joined the herds of cyclists with backpacks and no mudguards.

Welcome to the herd. That's me ... at least until November when the winter bike comes out. "Baa"

sheep.png

si_c

Guru
The bike feels very agile and fast. I’m sure it’s no faster, but it really feels it. I’m enjoying it so much I’m in two minds as to whether to bother replacing the guards and refitting the rack.
If you like that way of riding, keep the mudguards, but just ditch the rack. Mudguards don't affect the feel or handling of the bike any more than they affect the weight.

I keep mudguards on year round and commute with a backpack - I find the increased maneuverability through traffic and improved feel more than make up for a very slightly sweaty back - esp. given I shower at work.

mgs315

Hah don’t worry I’ve literally just gone the other way and fitted mudguards to my commuter for the first time.

Always a rucksack though.

Top Bottom