I'm coming out and I'm proud!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm 52(nearly), and i wear lycra! http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lycra&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ssxsULaXDOWu0QWj0ICICw&sqi=2&ved=0CEYQsAQ&biw=800&bih=485:wahhey:Of course us lycra wearers get some nasty comments and odd looks, but they'd secretly like to be on that bike, wearing that figure hugging attire!^_^

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Flapping flab looks no better for being covered in lycra.:sad:
T'is true but the benefits of lycra when cycling are still present even if the visual results might offend some. This mocking of cyclists who don't have a perfect physique just smacks of elitism to me - lycra can only be worn if you are an actual pro or think you might have been a contender at some point. The fact someone takes up cycling, loses 4 stone (25 kg), gets fitter and eventually decides they have the speed and power to benefit from wearing lycra and has then to contend with mocking ridicule is frankly a little sad. And, can you actually see much loose flapping flab in my pic'of last yr in my pre lycra days? No? I didn't think so.

T'is true but the benefits of lycra when cycling are still present even if the visual results might offend some. This mocking of cyclists who don't have a perfect physique just smacks of elitism to me - lycra can only be worn if you are an actual pro or think you might have been a contender at some point. The fact someone takes up cycling, loses 4 stone (25 kg), gets fitter and eventually decides they have the speed and power to benefit from wearing lycra and has then to contend with mocking ridicule is frankly a little sad. And, can you actually see much loose flapping flab in my pic'of last yr in my pre lycra days? No? I didn't think so.

IMO it's pure and simple ignorance. People that have been involved with sports do respect and appreciete sport-specific clothing (as well as gear and accessories). As I mentioned before I'm into sports all my life.. I literally grew up in a swimming pool (paying my dues to competitive/elite swimming world with very respectable results) and still visiting my local swimming centre. When I swim, I swim, I don't float in the shallow gossiping and chatting. And when I swim I wear my kneeskins not bikinis or even one piece leisure suits.. I can see the eyebrows lift.. honestly I couldn't care less!! Same with running.. I wear tights and running tanks and running shoes custom made for my gait and my Garmin and thermals and you name it! Whatever there is out there that makes my fun-time more fun (and I can afford it) I will have it! Now, I respect personal choices (even when they're mostly taboos) and I expect my choices to be respected as well.. Tights and lycra DO make a difference when cycling no matter what anybody says and it has nothing to do with ones physique! And in all honesty I can't be bothered with people that judge anything by the way it looks! (unless it's a piece of jewellery ofcourse :shy:)

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
IMO it's pure and simple ignorance. People that have been involved with sports do respect and appreciete sport-specific clothing... :shy:)
I agree. Even the big fella in the pink lycra outfit is getting some benefit from it. He would still be that size in something less clingy and at least he's getting out on a bike. So the problem really lies not with the wearer but with the viewer. The very idea that lycra can be worn by someone who's just doesn't tick all the boes aesthetically shocks some. Get over it I say!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
IMO it's pure and simple ignorance. People that have been involved with sports do respect and appreciete sport-specific clothing (as well as gear and accessories). As I mentioned before I'm into sports all my life.. I literally grew up in a swimming pool (paying my dues to competitive/elite swimming world with very respectable results) and still visiting my local swimming centre. When I swim, I swim, I don't float in the shallow gossiping and chatting. And when I swim I wear my kneeskins not bikinis or even one piece leisure suits.. I can see the eyebrows lift.. honestly I couldn't care less!! Same with running.. I wear tights and running tanks and running shoes custom made for my gait and my Garmin and thermals and you name it! Whatever there is out there that makes my fun-time more fun (and I can afford it) I will have it! Now, I respect personal choices (even when they're mostly taboos) and I expect my choices to be respected as well.. Tights and lycra DO make a difference when cycling no matter what anybody says and it has nothing to do with ones physique! And in all honesty I can't be bothered with people that judge anything by the way it looks! (unless it's a piece of jewellery ofcourse :shy:)
Amen Sister.

hotmetal

I think it's a context thing.Take the bike away and even the most ardent Lycra wearer might feel self-conscious going for a walk in the hills wearing cycling clobber. After the Olympics, maybe it will be seen as less unfashionable? Even the MTBers were Lycra'd up in the Olympics.

Not sure about the leg-shaving though. I think the benefits might be outweighed by the disadvantages and discomfort for non-competitive cyclists like me. No-one is going to run up to me whilst I'm cycling and rub oil into my thighs. (Come on now girls – form an orderly queue!) :whistle:

Saddle bum

Über Member
This country is virtually unique in its institutionalised dislike of cycling and cyclists. I suppose society feels safe if it has a minority group it can shower with bile without breaking some discrimination laws. It only takes some intellectual midgets like Clarkson, Matthew Parris or that so-called chef, James Martin to use the media in order to heap hate on us and we have a ready made focus for prejudice.
How do they reinforce their dislike – invent a few stereotypes: Lycra and shaved legs will do for now. Then add “You don’t pay road tax” and all the other wailings.
Tommy Tintop in his box bought on HP or given by his company to avoid a pay rise, is secretly jealous of the fit young types pedalling smoothly on their expensive road machines. He is annoyed that people wish to spend vast sums on a machine he neither appreciates nor understands. He is further incensed when the object of his venom dresses to suit the occasion with clothes designed to be efficient and comfortable. I bet he does not object to the dress code for Beach Volleyball!

Top Bottom