I'm designing a Bike Station, got any advice/tips etc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I have two good size garages(knocked into one) here on resort to convert this month into a 'Bike Station'. I've never done this before and just thought I'd ask if anybody has any words of wisdom etc?? It's the centre one and the right hand side one.

My thinking so far is to divide the area up into four:

Reception/shop
Office
Workshop/Tools
Bike Storage

I'm not selling bikes, this is a reception for touring groups, and a place to keep rental bikes, fix what needs fixing and sell stuff like energy products, tubes, spares, shirts, shorts etc

I'm interested in any pointers as to floor type, good bike racks for the walls, display cases, lighting options,tool types, power supply issues, easy clean surfaces, security, and anything else anybody thinks would be relevant. I've probably missed a bunch of stuff so any ideas most welcome:smile:

Work has to start within the month and I need to get it right lol!

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Well I looked and I got a nasty YOUR SAMSUNG IS NOW INFECTED. Half naked girls etc???

So you may want to delete this..

should I report to mods? Or mods can you delete?

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

2015-02-23 15.33.44.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
As above posters have said.
air con outside, then you need to sort the front so it can be secure with glass and doors and shutters ?
Is this going to be a place for selling ?

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

The air con units are being moved to an external wall. The frontage will be glazed with doouble entrance doors on both sides. There will be a security system/alarm and plenty of power points, a wifi router and overhead lighting. I'm unsure which is th best type of overhead lighting for working on bikes though. I need to decide on th etype of flooring soon. Im guessing a regular laminate will suffice, but it needs to be easy cleanable and not attract dust etc.
I cant get water installed, but there is water, wash rooms and Wc's very close by. I need to get 'shop' fittings of some kind, nothing big just a few glass dispaly cabinets, shelving, and bike jersey hangers/display I think. I need to know what tools to have in the mechanic area so that we can fix most things shimano & Campag at least.

I'm really after any 'problems' that have been encountered by anyone working in or owning a bike store/station that I may not even be aware of until it's in operation....space requirements for mechanics etc?? I'm out there with my bike standing in the space and trying to figure it all out, but its always good to ask more expereinced peeps :smile:

I want the area to look good but it's not a sales display area like the big bike shops, it needs to be practical, useable and flexible in terms of moving areas around if needed,I'm going to ask powerade etc if they fancy stocking a fridge full of isontonic stuff for free as well lol!

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

great point about cleats and laminate...thats the type of thing Im after.....:smile:

I am investigating getting a water feed from the pipes above somehow..

I'm going to get some shutters on the doors as well hopefully....one because there will be times when the sun needs blocking out....two for security out of season in particular.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Thinking about shops/workshops I've been in...

I'm guessing your mechanics will want access to tea, or whatever the local worker fuel is.
If you are selling clothing you might want to consider a changing area. Similarly if people might turn up with bike on car with a view to fettle and then ride a circular from you and back.
Big local map on the wall?
Some way to degrease people.

Top Bottom