I'm doing something for Charideeeee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I did a 100 miler last October, and did it for Cancer Research, raised £317 of which they got £317. Yes it is a good feeling esp when you've had a scare yourself, in my case malignant melanoma.

flyingfish

My OH & I are doing the British Heart Foundation London to Southend ride. It will be a first 50 for both of us
Pete

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I used to run marathons and half marathons for the RNLI. I am sure the regular people I went to beg off got fed up of seeing me, i certainly got fed up of going to them and so I stopped running for charity, I had done my bit.

What is a little annoying now is that if anyone wants to do something like LEJOG, it is expected to do it for charity and not for their own enjoyment. If they are not collecting for children, Africa or other worthwhile cause, they can be perceived as being selfish.

Collecting for charity is a personal choice but in my opinion adds pressure to what you are doing.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I used to run marathons and half marathons for the RNLI. I am sure the regular people I went to beg off got fed up of seeing me, i certainly got fed up of going to them and so I stopped running for charity, I had done my bit.

What is a little annoying now is that if anyone wants to do something like LEJOG, it is expected to do it for charity and not for their own enjoyment. If they are not collecting for children, Africa or other worthwhile cause, they can be perceived as being selfish.

Collecting for charity is a personal choice but in my opinion adds pressure to what you are doing.
That's all true, I'm a salesman, and I thrive on pressure, which makes it right up my street.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Biggest confusion (after being pissed as newts) of most of the people I talked to while doing the couple of FNRttC's last year was that we weren't 'doing it for something'. The concept that just enjoying doing it could be sufficient caused them serious problems in comprehension (plus the newt thing).

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Planning on plenty of adrenalin :okay: Can do 40 so will step that up a bit. the real issue is that roundabout the 85 mile mark I will literally be passing the end of my road where the idea is that my daughter, dad and in-laws will be there - now that's a mental challenge ^_^
So Wimbledon Hill won't be a surprise then.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I had someone come past reassure me we were almost at the top riding it last year, so I must have looked dreadful by then!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hah, not for that reason, I'm now around six miles away from there - after ten years in Wimbledon! I cycled up a coupe of weeks ago actually, went far too hard at the bottom.

Many years ago I used to live in St Georges Road at the bottom of Wimbledon Hill... I remember when it snowed or there was heavy ice, buses used to struggle up the hill.

Simontm

Veteran
Many years ago I used to live in St Georges Road at the bottom of Wimbledon Hill... I remember when it snowed or there was heavy ice, buses used to struggle up the hill.
I always hate the Broadway, there could be zero wind elsewhere but that wind tunnel...:cursing:

Top Bottom