I'm done with being cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I know I'm a weather lightweight - 7 years in California wrecked me forever - but I'm so tired of doing sport outside and being cold.I did a wonderful 30-miler yesterday in the Cotswolds but just really didn't enjoy it much as I was so cold. I ran this morning with a friend...and was cold. I'm tired of wrapping up and layering up, tired of finding my gloves. Tired of being shivery when I finish exercising. I've been cold since October and I'm ready to be warm again.

I want to run and ride my bike in shorts and a sleeveless top and get mild sunburn on my shoulders and have to drink ice-cold diet cokes, and then sit in the garden with an aperol watching the cats sprawled in the sunshine.

Come. On. Summer

Moan over. Sorry. Thanks for indulging me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I hear ya Carthryn.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I know I'm a weather lightweight - 7 years in California wrecked me forever - but I'm so tired of doing sport outside and being cold.I did a wonderful 30-miler yesterday in the Cotswolds but just really didn't enjoy it much as I was so cold. I ran this morning with a friend...and was cold. I'm tired of wrapping up and layering up, tired of finding my gloves. Tired of being shivery when I finish exercising. I've been cold since October and I'm ready to be warm again.

I want to run and ride my bike in shorts and a sleeveless top and get mild sunburn on my shoulders and have to drink ice-cold diet cokes, and then sit in the garden with an aperol watching the cats sprawled in the sunshine.

Come. On. Summer

You could live up here! :cold::laugh:

I'm the same. Just longing for a bit of sun and warmth on the old bones. This has to be one of the coldest springs we have had.

T4tomo

Guru
I missed the opportunity on Easter sunday, when it was very warm and sunny down south at least, because i was sat in someones garden supping beer, so not entirely wasted!

We went out on Easter monday morning and it snowed:wacko:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Jigsaw time. Lol.

Didn't mean to post that in this section. Ooops. Sorry.

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser

Come. On. Summer

I couldn't agree more. The hot weather we had on 30th March was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I'm like "come on world, I know you can do it, so quit it with these icy winds and snow!"

Cycling outdoors is such a chore at the moment. Hopefully the chill will stay away - it seems a bit milder today.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
The husband and I had planned a short hike today! We dropped the boy off at football camp, looked at each other and are going home to spend the day watching TV in bed with the electric blanket on. Duvet day.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm with you sister....
Normally my motto is 'unless it snows, we goes...' but I've obviously become soft through lockdown. The last weeks of bitter cold and strong winds here on the coast at world's end has seen me staying in bed or hunkering down on the sofa when I should be getting the miles in (297 miles so far this year - pathetic). I have a 258 mile ride at the end of July so could really do with increasing my saddle-time - but lacking mojo when it's 0 degrees and strong northerlies.
Just bought a cheap Turbo off of Wiggle as am not getting the hang of rollers to see if this helps....

Frickin' weather....this time last year it was the start of an endless summer.

snorri

Legendary Member
Reminds me of two Italian cyclists I met in different Scandinavian countries, both complained bitterly about this cold and miserable land they had chosen to tour in. They had not forsaken the brief shorts that they had been used to wearing for cycling in an Italian summer or the inadequate footwear and it seemed wanted to fight the lower temperatures with some sort of mind over matter process rather than do what everyone else was doing and wearing adequate clothing ^_^.

You should be shivery at the beginning of a ride not the end.
I always bring a bunch of extra clothing. For big hills on cold damp days, I sometimes remove my damp inner jersey at the peak and put a dry on on, or just use the dry fleece midlayer. Dont just carry extra clothing, use it. A sleeveless insulated gillet is a useful item to add or remove insulation over your windproof layer.
Spare dry socks can be a lifesaver and a woolly hat is good for repair stops.

I find that generic hiking layers are often better than cycling tops in winter.

T4tomo

Guru
I've managed a ride (sometimes 2) every weekend bar 3 so far this year, when the weather was just too wet/snowy/windy (and one of those i jumped on the turbo sunday am) sometimes in ski gloves and usually only around 30 miles and normally involving some sort of bacon bap and coffee as a reward!

Rocky

Hello decadence
Mrs R is still doing her open water swims in the Thames. As it's April she's discarded her wetsuit. Absolute madness, if you ask me.

Don't worry Cathryn......a heat wave is on its way, or so Mrs R tells me.

Top Bottom