I'm done with being cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Im finding its positively balmy out there.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
You should be shivery at the beginning of a ride not the end.

I find that generic hiking layers are often better than cycling tops in winter.
I'm always shivery after exercise unless it's properly hot. When running with friends, I always take a complete change of top stuff if we're getting coffee afterwards. I actually think a sports bra is the main problem as they get so clammy and cold.

And yes, I wear a lot of hiking/running clothes for winter cycling too.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm a big fan of the cold and miss the snowy and icy pre dawns when i relished going out running in it. At my fittest, I'd race cross-countries in club vest and shorts in below freezing temperatures with icy hail and snow lashing us and feel soft for having shoes on knowing my hero Ron Hill would eschew such nancy-boy mollycoddling. And that's another plus in the running column against cycling. Sorry committed cyclists but you couldn't cycle in the cold without warm clothing and footwear due to wind speed.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm always shivery after exercise unless it's properly hot. When running with friends, I always take a complete change of top stuff if we're getting coffee afterwards. I actually think a sports bra is the main problem as they get so clammy and cold.

And yes, I wear a lot of hiking/running clothes for winter cycling too.
I get really cold and shivery after exercise too :cold::sad: Nice hot bath or even disappear under the duvet for half an hour is all that helps.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
After a cold ride my front feels like the meat on a butcher's slab.

Takes a long time to warm up again whatever I do.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I get really cold and shivery after exercise too :cold::sad: Nice hot bath or even disappear under the duvet for half an hour is all that helps.

The trick is not to cycle so hard you sweat and then chill when at lower effort. This means wearing less when moving, then throwing on an extra warm layer if stopped for an extended period.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I'm all about winter me. My fatbike isn't much fun in summer. More rolling resistance with hot humid heat is a chore. But on the bright side it only lasts a few short months at best :laugh:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mrs R is still doing her open water swims in the Thames. As it's April she's discarded her wetsuit. Absolute madness, if you ask me.

Don't worry Cathryn......a heat wave is on its way, or so Mrs R tells me.
I bet the Thames is warmer than the English Channel off Deal beach!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The sea temperature tends to be at it's lowest in February/March. I have been diving when it was 2C at one point and felt a bit chilly. I did have a dry suit and wooly bear but the hands are the worst.
On the trike these days my body temp is not too bad and my feet are also ok but fingers go numb even with sheepskin gloves.

Top Bottom