I'm done with being cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It's not been so much the cold for me, but the strength of the wind for most of the year so far. At least the past few weeks have been dry (round here at least) after the all too frequent wet days over winter. A couple of farms even had to have the water cannon and sprayers out this afternoon.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's not been so much the cold for me, but the strength of the wind for most of the year so far. At least the past few weeks have been dry (round here at least) after the all too frequent wet days over winter. A couple of farms even had to have the water cannon and sprayers out this afternoon.
Very dry here too, but the never ending strong wind here on the coast has certainly tarnished my riding this year. Add in the unusually low temps right now, whilst it's bright and dry I can't get motivated to get out...

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Agree with all of above ...plus.... although I can't prove it, I strongly feel that blue skies and that yellow ball I love so much, have been missing in action. Ever since the really cold week in Feb(?) there's been a mere handful of days where the clouds haven't moved in at 10am (or earlier).

Unusual when its also been cold.

This is what makes me feel SAD.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Taken from my doorstep,just before 9 o clock last night.:cold:

1618109073888.png

1618109093780.png

1618109112204.png

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
On my ride yesterday on an un-treated minor road, some of the bits where water runs across the road were still icy at 11 am. Beginning to think I might have been premature in taking the ice spike tyres off my old MTB last month :ohmy:. It hasn't been a bad winter from the aspect of continuous storms blowing in as we have had in recent years (west of Scotland), but this cold weather just seems to be going on forever. Personally I prefer the cold to storms, but in mid April? :wacko:

Brandane

Legendary Member
During the last few days and I have being amazed at the number of other cyclists i have seen in shorts .🐧
Noticed that yesterday too. Me in leggings, gloves, fleece and jacket; and comfortably warm on 25 mile ride. Others in shorts, bare hands, and short sleeves. I know you can generate more heat by knocking yourself out on the bike, but this was a hilly route - you're still going to get cold on the downhill sections. They certainly LOOKED cold :cold:.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
-2 on my TT this morning and my fingers were like ice at the end, despite using thermal gloves. Some of the competitors were in shorts/short-sleeve jersey plus no gloves :wacko: :cold:

AndreaJ

Veteran
The weather forecast this morning was for sunshine and a gentle breeze which was exactly what it looked like when I set off on my bike. Luckily as it was a bit chilly I had proper gloves and a winter jacket on because further up the road it was snowing and hailing and very cold, as I got closer to home it was back to bright sunshine. I should have left the mudguards on though! I don’t like snow in April.

I'm sure the weather's got worse since the thread started...
I laughed last night, but this morning it doesn't seem so funny! Sketchiest commute in a long time, due to:
- Me not having the "best" tyres on for the conditions, and not anticipating such a thick layer of snow round the estate. And
- Oxon council keeping their grit trucks safely tucked away. They were out all weekend 2 weeks ago

Still, it was pretty to watch through the kitchen window!

Top Bottom