I'm feeling a bit self righteous at the moment...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm currently at NBTS at the JR in Oxford donating platelets for the second time. I have free Internet, tea and biscuits.

I started doing this when my best friend was dying of cancer last year, and I saw other cancer patients getting transfusions.

I expect a lot of you lot have given blood, this is the same, but they use the white stuff and I get the red stuff back.

thom

____
I'm currently at NBTS at the JR in Oxford donating platelets for the second time. I have free Internet, tea and biscuits.

I started doing this when my best friend was dying of cancer last year, and I saw other cancer patients getting transfusions.

I expect a lot of have given blood, this is the same, but they use the white stuff and I get the red stuff back.
Good stuff - years ago the very same place attempted to take my platelets but couldn't find enough of the required quality.
:thumbsup:

Maz

Guru
I'll be giving blood next week, InshaAllah.
I'll ask about them about platelet donating as well, whilst I'm there.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
You GET THE RED STUFF BACK?

Isn't that doping?

Where do I sign up?

Busted!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
How do they separate the platelets from the haemoglobin?

[Edit: Sorry, I should've just goggled that... I'll go and do it now...
Edit2: Aha! ...should've said red blood cells not haemoglobin]

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
How do they separate the platelets from the haemoglobin?

[Edit: Sorry, I should've just goggled that... I'll go and do it now...]

I googled it and wished I hadn't! But they stick a hole in ya arm take out the blood put it in a HUGE Ronco record cleaner like whizzy thing, put the white stuff in a placcy bag, to use later for folk what is poorly, stuff the red stuff back in somewhere. That last bit can make your lips tingle a bit.

Top Bottom