I'm going to have a rant.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru
Banana slicer?! What is this fiendish witchcraft you speak of?!
I also had been previously unaware that banana slicers were a thing but a very quick search later...
OIP.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

Had similar frustrations with my bank years ago... If I only had £2.95 in my account and tried to buy something for £3 with my card, it was transaction declined, every time... yet when my broadband provider wanted to sell me a 3GB block of data for £3, they could take the full amount, putting me into an unauthorised overdraft which cost me £65 in charges :cursing:
My son got caught in exactly the same situation by Halifax, they allowed him to put £3 worth of petrol in the motorbike, he accidently used his debit card instead of his credit card the day before he got paid. He only had £2.90 in the account so they did the same I think his fees were £55, went into the branch & played merry hell up, we got it all back.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I feel your pain @EltonFrog . I have a "savings account" with Bank of Scotland (Halifax, south of the frontier). When they dropped the interest rate for the umpteenth time, this time I think they said 0.01% (I kid you not), I decided to take my fortune in savings out the account and buy a new inner tube. I had the same issue when I tried to close it on-line, but I never got as far as phoning them as I was asked to do. So it just lies there dormant.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My son got caught in exactly the same situation by Halifax, they allowed him to put £3 worth of petrol in the motorbike, he accidently used his debit card instead of his credit card the day before he got paid. He only had £2.90 in the account so they did the same I think his fees were £55, went into the branch & played merry hell up, we got it all back.
Same bank. I got the charges dropped the first few times my BB provider took another data block but then the Halifax began refusing to drop the charges, claiming I had an agreement with my BB provider allowing them to take funds when my data quota ran out. This was true... but i didn't have an agreement for my BB provider to take funds that weren't there! The bank were absolutely inflexible about it. Cost me a small fortune until i got a different BB provider.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
similar situation, not an account, when I worked for the bank I was involved in trials for a new device,, you either got a wristband or a sticker for your wallet/phone, you loaded these up first from your account, they worked contactless, a great idea in concept, it meant that people could just tap the bracelet when using the tube in London etc, however I loaded mine up, used to the last 50p and then tried to put this back in my account.... "no way Jose" there was no way of putting any amount of balance back in your account...... I didn't put in a very favorable review when the trial ended

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If it's any help to the OP, Natworst have free tea and coffee in branch so that might help while the kettle is out of action? :okay:

I also bank with them and received a cheque in the post. I was surprised to get sent a cheque in this day and age and even more surprised to discover I had to make a special trip to the bank to pay it in. Friends who bank elsewhere can use their banks app to take a pic of the cheque and that's it, done and credited!

D

Deleted member 26715

Nat Worst charged me over £140 2 days back in about 1994 they were charging £35 a letter back then, even sharing envelopes, 4 letters in 2 days. Okay I was over my overdraft, but money was paid in on the 2nd day to clear not only the unauthorised but the authorised as well, went in for them to explain how charging me so much was going to help me not go back into overdraft, they were not interested.

Haven't banked with them for 10 years, but still get genuine emails from them, despite multiple requests asking them to remove me from their mailing list.

Banks law to themselves

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Child 2 had a similar situation with the Coventry Building Society a few days ago. She sent verification documents to close the account, which someone there decided were not originals, (they were) and they wrote to my daughter asking for other originals to be provided. Then as we discovered in a 'phone call last week, they destroyed the first documents she had sent "for security reasons". :banghead:
The chap at the other end of 'phone and recipient of my ire, kept referring to compliance with money laundering regulations, which in reality is cloud cuckoo land:
Child 2 did not open the account in the first place, (I did some years ago for her benefit).
If someone is laundering money, do financial institutions, or the regulator, seriously think the verification process cannot be easily circumvented?
Professionally, I have also seen first hand "compliance" with the regulations. Inconsistent would be the word which comes to mind.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My step mother died before my dad but he was too ill so didn't close her bank account or tell me about it. When he died last year her bank sent a statement to his house showing £3.20 still on her account.... They can't or won't accept my instruction to close the account as I'm not a blood relative of hers, there will be a blood relative somewhere in the world who can, but I'm not going looking.

Top Bottom