I'm going to have a rant.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Forgive my indulgence but the Fragrant Mrs P has gone out.

How is it I can borrow tens of thousands of pounds on-line and buy anything from a Banana Slicer to a Bentley at the click of a button or two, yet I can not close a bank account?

Why eh? why?

Feckin' stupid twunts at NatSh!t say I have to go into a branch to close my account, but I cannot, they've closed the branch in town, go to the nearest branch they suggest, I cannot it is closed on a Saturday, go midweek they counter, I cannot it is only open from 10am to 1pm and I can't get there at those times because it is inconvenient.

WRITE A LETTER THEY SAY. Write a letter! WRITE A FECKIN' LETTER? What is this nineteen forty-feckin'-seven for feck's sake?

Jeeezus D Trumpy Christ! I told them, I said 'I'm not asking you to propose a new theory of relativity, I said, I'm not asking you to explain nuclear physics I said, I'm not even asking you to read me a blumen' Andy feckin' Pandy bed time story, I just want to to close an account that has no money or any debt associated with it." The bloke said 'I only work here'.

Sometimes in this country trying to get things done is like trying to reason with turd siding down a wall.

And another feckin' thing; the kettle blew up!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well at least you weren't instructed to get your dead mother to come to the phone to close her account... :whistle:

You probably think that I am joking... unfortunately NOT! :banghead::cursing:

byegad

Legendary Member
Deposit £1. Then ask them for a monthly statement on paper. Every time they try to change it to paperless statement refuse, every time they ask to send half yearly statements accept, then ring up a month later asking for it to be changed to monthly. Once they're fed up they close it for you.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Had similar frustrations with my bank years ago... If I only had £2.95 in my account and tried to buy something for £3 with my card, it was transaction declined, every time... yet when my broadband provider wanted to sell me a 3GB block of data for £3, they could take the full amount, putting me into an unauthorised overdraft which cost me £65 in charges :cursing:

Slick

Guru
I did like @welsh dragon when I was moving a large amount of cash around and I had to park it with banks I opened a number of accounts to keep it below the maximum protection allowed. I still have them but have no intention of ever using them again. Didn't get stressed once in the process. :becool:

carlosfandangus

Über Member
They just need your signature to match what is on record, if it was just closed on a phone call or email they wouldn't have this, its just to prevent future fraud on you/them.
Sorry to hear about the kettle.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
If you don't use it and there isn't any money in it, then I would just ignore it altogether. Sorted. No need for shouty rant. :hello:
I have a Metro bank account that I opened some years back. I have never used it and there is no money in it. I can't close it online, although it is an online account. Either I go into a branch, which is a bit of a pain or phone someone in a call centre. I'm just going to leave it be.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
They just need your signature to match what is on record, if it was just closed on a phone call or email they wouldn't have this, its just to prevent future fraud on you/them.
Sorry to hear about the kettle.
Just like posting a paper letter, a written signature is an antiquated form of identification, which should have been replaced by routine fingerprint and retinal scans long ago. It's ridiculous that someone should have to actually walk into a building just to write something on a sheet of paper. I've written my signature so few times in the last decade that it's not even close to being consistent, in fact it never was very consistent. We're in the 21st century! :rolleyes:

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I completely agree, when I worked in banking we would have to ask late teens for copies of their signature that they had made when the accounts were opened when they were children.... sadly some procedures take an inordinate time to change

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
I used to have an account with a certain foreign bank that paid good interest. As years went by the interest dropped, as they do. There were two occasions when I tried to log in on line but it would not allow me to and said to phone. The first time this happened I did and was told that because I had not logged in within 6 months they do this automatically. It was difficult understanding what was said as there was a very strong accent with the caller. I tried to log in again within 6 months and the same thing happened again. I thought sod this for a game of soldiers I am not phoning again I will withdraw all the money in the account and close it. Problem, you can`t close it on line,you have to phone ! I did not do anything and several years down the line they emailed and said because I had not used the account they would close it. Result.

Top Bottom