I'm half way through watching the first

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

season of The West Wing.

I must say I'm really enjoying it. I think it's fast paced, witty, well written, good characters and has great dialogue. The only slightly annoying thing is that some episodes end on a very cheesy sentimental note. I can put up with that though as the rest is good.

I saw the full box set at the weekend for £50. Is it worth buying or does it go downhill from the first season on as most programmes do?

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Some of my friends had been raving about the West Wing so when it dropped in price on Amazon I took the plunge and bought the whole boxset thinking it would be great for these dark winter evenings. I haven't got past the first episode yet:blush: (not because it was bad but because I've been too busy doing other things).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Greedo said:
I saw the full box set at the weekend for £50. Is it worth buying or does it go downhill from the first season on as most programmes do?
I was thinking of renting The West Wing from my DVD club and I pay £1.99 a time so if there are more than 25 disks it would be cheaper to buy the set...

Hang on - I've just been to take a look at Amazon.co.uk - there are 44 disks so I'd save £37.58.

The reviews are very positive (34 out of 36 give the set a 5-star rating; 2 give it 3-stars).

One disappointing thing is this:

Series 1 & 2: 4:3 format
Series 3: 16:9 non-anamorphic ('letterboxed' 4:3)
Series 4 - 7: 16:9 anamorphic ('proper' widescreen)

I found this on ciao.co.uk:
"...after series 4, the writing drops a notch or two with the departure of creator Aaron Sorkin. The show is still amazing but it just could not keep up with the standards set early on. And no wonder when the bar had been set so high."

U

User482

I've been dropping plenty of unsubtle hints - hopefully santa will be delivering it.

OP
OP
G

Greedo

That's an idea. Will start on the hints tonight.

Hi dear, what a "west wing" day I've had!

can you pass the salt and "west wing" pepper!

Would you like a cup of "west wing" tea!

You go and put your "west wing" feet up. I'll get the dishes!

That should be subtle enough!

User482 said:
I've been dropping plenty of unsubtle hints - hopefully santa will be delivering it.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I am wondering whether I can justify buying all of The Wire...

The West Wing? I used to love it, but you've got it in real life now... half the people in it are based on real people that Obama has appointed to his administration. And Obama himself was one of the inspirations for Jimmy Smits' hispanic president in the last series.

U

User482

Flying_Monkey said:

The West Wing? I used to love it, but you've got it in real life now... half the people in it are based on real people that Obama has appointed to his administration. And Obama himself was one of the inspirations for Jimmy Smits' hispanic president in the last series.

I have the Wire on order from Lovefilm too. I'm in danger of turning into a recluse...

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Guess I don't need to watch the last series now! :smile:

Flying_Monkey said:

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Well I assumed seeing as the first season seems to be Jed Bartlets first year in office and there were 7 seasons then 8 years would be Bartlets term. Obviously not though!

Flying_Monkey said:
It's not as if it's a secret, is it? :smile:

MajorMantra

TWW is absolutely the best TV show there has ever been, and I really mean that. I've seen all 7 seasons and recently got the £50 set to enjoy it all over again. Yes, sometimes it goes a bit too 'God bless America' but that aside it's probably the best and most intelligently written show. Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!

Can you tell I like it?

Matthew

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Greedo said:
Well I assumed seeing as the first season seems to be Jed Bartlets first year in office and there were 7 seasons then 8 years would be Bartlets term. Obviously not though!

It's plenty more complicated than that - just enjoy it.

Top Bottom