I'm half way through watching the first

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

Greedo

Mrs Greedo got me the whole thing for Christmas :biggrin:.

Nearly finished Season 3 and must say I think it is fantastic. It's such a joy to know every night for a couple of hours I've got something good to watch and relax to before bed.

Will be gutted when I finish season 7

U

User482

Greedo said:
Mrs Greedo got me the whole thing for Christmas :biggrin:.

Nearly finished Season 3 and must say I think it is fantastic. It's such a joy to know every night for a couple of hours I've got something good to watch and relax to before bed.

Will be gutted when I finish season 7

My parents got me the whole set for Christmas. :biggrin:

I'm hopelessly adddicted and have just started series 3. Given that I've turned into a virtual recluse watching it, how the hell are you nearly a whole series ahead?! You must have watched 60 episodes since Christmas!

OP
OP
G

Greedo

I had watched the first 11 episodes of Season one on Virgins on demand before christmas which started my addiction, so I had a head start.

Had a couple of days where folk staying went out and I stayed in on my own as wasn't feeling well and wanted to be well for a trip to Brussels for New year. I basically just lay on the couch and watched as much as I could. I watched 16/17/19 last night of season 3. My mrs has given up on expecting me to do or say anything at night after 10 when I get 3 episodes in before bed xx(

I'm serious when I say I'll be gutted when I'm finished it.

Will maybe have to get something else on box set to ease the pain!:biggrin:

User482 said:
My parents got me the whole set for Christmas. :biggrin:

I'm hopelessly adddicted and have just started series 3. Given that I've turned into a virtual recluse watching it, how the hell are you nearly a whole series ahead?! You must have watched 60 episodes since Christmas!

U

User482

Greedo said:
I had watched the first 11 episodes of Season one on Virgins on demand before christmas which started my addiction, so I had a head start.

Had a couple of days where folk staying went out and I stayed in on my own as wasn't feeling well and wanted to be well for a trip to Brussels for New year. I basically just lay on the couch and watched as much as I could. I watched 16/17/19 last night of season 3. My mrs has given up on expecting me to do or say anything at night after 10 when I get 3 episodes in before bed :biggrin:

I'm serious when I say I'll be gutted when I'm finished it.

Will maybe have to get something else on box set to ease the pain!:biggrin:

My wife is even more addicted to it than I am! I've got The Wire and ER on order from Lovefilm so that something else to fill the void. Or I could actually do something productive with all the free time I'll have.

p.s forgot to say - I opened a 1978 Barros colheita port on Christmas day. It was like angels dancing on your tongue!

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Very nice indeed. Bet it was lovely

I had some nice wines but nothing crazy, kept the really good stuff back.

The people we had were very much wine is wine people and felt it a waste to open it. Don't think there's anything wrong with people being like that but just felt it would be better enjoyed by people who would appreciate it a bit more.

Actually debated opening a Sauterne as they just thought "Oh that's different" and wanted another glass of red instead with their cheese.

Different strokes for different folks and all that!

User482 said:
My wife is even more addicted to it than I am! I've got The Wire and ER on order from Lovefilm so that something else to fill the void. Or I could actually do something productive with all the free time I'll have.

p.s forgot to say - I opened a 1978 Barros colheita port on Christmas day. It was like angels dancing on your tongue!

U

User482

Greedo said:
Very nice indeed. Bet it was lovely

I had some nice wines but nothing crazy, kept the really good stuff back.

The people we had were very much wine is wine people and felt it a waste to open it. Don't think there's anything wrong with people being like that but just felt it would be better enjoyed by people who would appreciate it a bit more.

Actually debated opening a Sauterne as they just thought "Oh that's different" and wanted another glass of red instead with their cheese.

Different strokes for different folks and all that!

I opened it to share with my brother (who bought it for us as a wedding present), my dad (loves his port) and Mrs R. I certainly wouldn't give it to anyone who didn't appreciate it!

Mrs R prefers the lighter colheita style to vintage port and I think she has a point, especially if you're having it with cheese. Like you I also enjoy sweet wine with cheese - there's a South African one called botrytis (I think they use the rot to make it sweeter, no idea how) that I'm rather partial to.

My decent wines are all now cellared under my parents' house. I've warned my dad to keep away!

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Botrytis is just a form of rot on the grape. It occurs when conditions are wet and humid in cooler climates like Burgundy. This would ruin a pinot noir grape for instance and the grower lives in fear of this.

Other growers in warmer climates want this and the wet and humid conditions give way to warmer conditions. This drys out the grape and becomes partially raisined and the form of infection brought about by the partial drying process is known as noble rot. Grapes when then picked at a certain point during this then produce concentrated sweet wines such as Sauternes, Aszu of Tokaj and others. Some producers in Australia and South Africa etc... sometimes put Botrytis on the label as the can't call it a Sauterne or Aszu of Tokaj and don't want to put Dessert Wine on the label.

Sorry for the long winded answer but it's my favourite subject wine as you know:biggrin:

User482 said:
I opened it to share with my brother (who bought it for us as a wedding present), my dad (loves his port) and Mrs R. I certainly wouldn't give it to anyone who didn't appreciate it!

Mrs R prefers the lighter colheita style to vintage port and I think she has a point, especially if you're having it with cheese. Like you I also enjoy sweet wine with cheese - there's a South African one called botrytis (I think they use the rot to make it sweeter, no idea how) that I'm rather partial to.

My decent wines are all now cellared under my parents' house. I've warned my dad to keep away!

U

User482

Greedo said:
Sorry for the long winded answer but it's my favourite subject wine as you know:biggrin:

Thanks. Long winded answers about wine a fine by me!

Mr Pig

Thanks to my wife I've spent almost a week of my life watching 24! So I'll not be mentioning The West Wing to her...

OP
OP
G

Greedo

That my good man is the bootylicious Kim Kardashian. I fine woman indeed. Always slag my mrs she looks like her and has a backside to match :biggrin:

Think i'll start on The Wire when I finish the West Wing

mr Mag00 said:
ot!! greedo who is that in your avatar?

We have succumbed to the powers of 'the wire' and very good it is too!!

Top Bottom