I'm loving the new forum layout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
30f.jpg

Widge

Baldy Go
Good Job! Thank you Shaun......

Now,
......do you think you could pop over and help the BBC with their godawful replacement for radio iPlayer - ('BBC SoundZ')
It should only take a couple of minutes and basically involves removing the new app and putting back the one they had.:rolleyes:

All Best

w

PaulSB

Legendary Member
One thing I am curious about - as a rough percentage figure, how many forum accesses are via a mobile device these days? I would guess about 50%, but it may be even more than that?

I would have expected 80+%. Everyone I know uses their phone extensively to access the web. Personally I only use my laptop if I have some web related work or for shopping. In both instances I find a larger screen useful.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's still doing this, full width ads with half width forum.:

Corrects itself if I tap a link or double tap a message but it's a bit annoying.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well unsurprisingly it's taken 24 hours to get used to but this morning I can't recall the differences. The new site works far better on a mobile or tablet. I haven't tried a laptop or PC.

Apart from the excessive number of sub forums I think it's an excellent upgrade. A little thought and it's easy to get round.

The sub forums is a shame and I don't really see the need. I didn't know one could ignore sub forums but learned this yesterday. I've worked through and hidden what I rarely, if ever, read which means I now have 19 sub forums visible and 34 hidden. Not sure what this says about me?

I feel posters will miss out on help or advice in the future. I don't need to scroll past Pets, Parenting, Motoring etc. when I visit. I wouldn't bother to go in to these forums. If a topic on the wisdom of buying a child a guinea pig appeared in Cafe I might have responded.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I want to go on record as saying the new layout is OK for me.
But there are too many sub forums. Especially in Cafe, there is no need to split off all these sub areas.

Shaun

Founder
@winjim - I'll look into that. There should be a limit on the width of ads in the mobile style, but it looks to be ignoring it. Thanks for reporting.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Nice upgrade

One comment....if you look in your "Reactions Received" and click on a post you've received a like on, it takes you to the first post on the first page on that thread, rather than the post you have received a like on. It used to do this, presumably this is a coding oversight as this is a backwards step

Reactions: mjr

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Nice upgrade

One comment....if you look in your "Reactions Received" and click on a post you've received a like on, it takes you to the first post on the first page on that thread, rather than the post you have received a like on. It used to do this, presumably this is a coding oversight as this is a backwards step

For me, if I get there via the 'alerts' bell then it woks like the old software and takes me to the post I made.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks Shaun for all the work.

My only niggle is that when I go to watched threads: https://www.cyclechat.net/watched/threads it shows all threads, even ones that I have read. The old forum would hide them (but you could access them if you wanted to with the link to "there may be more to display")

It's only minor, so if it can't be made to work the same I'll get over it.
That was my favourite way of accessing the forum. And I think I have a workaround that replicates it.

Click new posts. Check unread threads and watched content. Also check save as default.

Now every time you go to https://www.cyclechat.net/whats-new/posts you get what you used to get at watched/threads

Er ... I think

Top Bottom