I'm not a snob but I draw the line at....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or even "May I have".
This reminds me of something that used to drive me crazy as a child. Back then you could only contact your friends in the evening via their parents (the landline, or as we called it, the phone). There was one friend's grandfather who would lecture angrily "Is that a way for one young lady to ask to speak to another young lady?", attempting harangue me into good manners, but just making me terrified to call. The irony was that good manners are all about making someone feel welcome and comfortable - just the opposite of what he was doing.

I knew I couldn't have told him "it's very rude to correct the speech of a stranger" (and that too, would have been rude and to his mind, impertinent), but other parents' relaxed and easy phone manners taught me more about good manners than that man ever did.

Trickedem

Guru
Or even... If it please you, may I be so impertinent as to request... :smile:
Or anything really that doesn't indicate that you want to go behind the counter and serve yourself

speccy1

So you don't have any Apple products or from almost any other manufacturer a computer, camera, cell phone or anything electronic that is either made wholly or contains parts from China?
I have a very old Dell computer and an equally antique Nokia phone, I don`t give a bugger where they were made, they do a job and I could quite happily live without either of them. I`m not one of these people who`s life revolves around technology, I hate and despise it - my job involves repairing it, so the last thing I want to do at night when I get home is to continue faffing around with it. Also, speaking as somebody technical, I know what dangerous/cheap/plain nasty crap they turn out, and I don`t want it in the house. That`s why I said "stuff made in China"

Otherwise we'd still be saying "ug ug coffee uggity ugoccino
That's pretty much my morning speech pre-coffee.

Top Bottom