I'm not sure I should say this, but...

.... I seem to going through a good spell at the moment:biggrin:. Today on my cycle in I had at least 5 incidents. By incidents I mean drivers very obviously hung back to give me room, they stopped to to let me past when they didn't have to and they thanked me when I stopped to let them progress. :tongue:

The weather was nice as well, a little cold, with hardly a breath of air. This is why I love cycle commuting :blush:

Cycling really is the best way to get to work. No doubt about it!



Of course, now that I have posted this........
 
I've had a few incidents in Tokyo myself,but you just dust yourself down and keep going.:blush:
 

ChrisKH

Veteran
Location
Essex
Come down to Essex, it will change overnight. Guaranteed at least one potential Chav bashing incident a day. See any of BTFB's posts for verification.

I should be allowed to carry a paint gun to mark cars who get too close and drive dangerously. I was getting overtaken on a Zebra crossing, outside a police station, every day!!!!!!I now move to primary at this spot and they still try to overtake. Sheesh.
 

Tynan

Veteran
Location
e4
why can't they pass you at a zebra, it's not like you're a full size vehicle blocking their line of sight

my back wheel buckled quite badly last night, two miles into the 12 miles home

not much fun hauling that all the way home
 

Maz

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
...my back wheel buckled quite badly last night, two miles into the 12 miles home

not much fun hauling that all the way home
Unlucky, Tynan. How did that happen, then?
 

Cab

New Member
Location
Cambridge
Generally its only other cyclists giving me trouble on the roads at the moment. Like the one this morning who couldn't be arsed waiting at a red light, mounted the pavement behind me, wombled slowly down and then wanted to hop back onto the road as I was overtaking him. Saw he was doing it, but still, stupid manoevre. Then the one who actually rear ended me while waiting at another red light (it isn't like I'd stopped suddenly, I'd been waiting there at least 20 seconds when he hit me). He did say sorry, but even so, how the heck did he manage that? Then there are at least three occasions where I've slapped cyclists in the last fortnight; whats happening is that I'm waiting in a particular stop box, signalling to turn left, and invariably I'm being undertaken by right turning RJLs who ride straight through my hand. Trouble is theres a new cycle lane filter leading to this new stop box, its on the left, I'm in primary to turn left and the idiot RLJs are going straight through where my arm is without even paying attention. Oh, theres also the four cyclists abreast going the wrong way down a narrow one way street on Monday (I shouted 'COMING THROUGH!' and they scattered, looked a bit scared).

Not a lot of motorist woes lately (touch wood). Generally, Cambridge cyclists have a bad reputation amongst motorists. I'm afraid to say that, generally, they deserve it.
 
We have three bus operators here, Lothian, First and Stagecoach.

Lothian always seem to be good at watching out for cyclists. First seemed to be improving too. And I never really have any contact with Stagecoach. Having said that the day Magnatom's article was in the evening news First resumed their normal service, speeding by within inches. Since then though its been quiet, touch wood and I'm really enjoying my commute. :blush:
 

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
Cab said:
Then there are at least three occasions where I've slapped cyclists in the last fortnight; whats happening is that I'm waiting in a particular stop box, signalling to turn left, and invariably I'm being undertaken by right turning RJLs who ride straight through my hand.
:blush:

It would be funny enough if you happened to stick your hand out just as they come by, but actually riding into it... That's priceless.
 

Cab

New Member
Location
Cambridge
Arch said:
:blush:

It would be funny enough if you happened to stick your hand out just as they come by, but actually riding into it... That's priceless.
I know :tongue: Happened three times recently too, on each occasion my hand had been out for at least five seconds before it happened, the third one I was looking over my shoulder watching the RLJ approach, trying to make eye contact in the hope that she'd stop. The other two were both blokes; the second one shouted off assorted obscenities at me.
 

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
Cab said:
I know :tongue: Happened three times recently too, on each occasion my hand had been out for at least five seconds before it happened, the third one I was looking over my shoulder watching the RLJ approach, trying to make eye contact in the hope that she'd stop. The other two were both blokes; the second one shouted off assorted obscenities at me.
T'would be even funnier if you wore a giant rubber glove filled with jelly, so that it made a 'boiiiinnnnggg' noise as they hit it....:blush:
 
OP
M

magnatom

Guest
HLaB said:
Having said that the day Magnatom's article was in the evening news First resumed their normal service, speeding by within inches.
Thats because First Lothian haven't been involved in the campaign.........yet :blush:
 

levad

Veteran
I had an incident on my commute this morning. Pootling down a single track road and I came past two of these ...



... both on my right, Fallow Deer, one stayed where it was, the other turned and walked in front of me for a short distance down the road and then into the field on my left. I could have touched them as I went past. Apparently they are 3 feet tall up to the shoulder, then there's the neck and head, I was almost looking at them eye to eye.

I see several across the fields and on the edge of the woods most days but never this close. The most daunting encounter was a group of four just off the road in the dark, I just picked up the reflections of the eyes and the shadowy outline in my lights.
 

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Location
South London
Lucky blighters, all of you! I've been too unwell to do any riding, lying in bed with a fever. I'm on antibiotics now, and feeling a bunch better today at least.
 
OP
M

magnatom

Guest
BentMikey said:
Lucky blighters, all of you! I've been too unwell to do any riding, lying in bed with a fever. I'm on antibiotics now, and feeling a bunch better today at least.
Sorry to hear that. Take it easy and don't rush back on the bike or to work.
 
Top Bottom