I'm not sure I should say this, but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
Maz, the bike is very old and worn, and to quote the lbs today when they quoted £35 for a new wheel should it need one

'it's a very basic bike'

The wheel got trued last week and a new axle the week before that but I've hit some shocking potholes this week, my first ride from Bloomsbury up to Camden, in the dark, (and onwards) discovered an outrageous stretch of road between the ring road and Mornington Crescent, it's my new 'worse bit of road'

I've now lost over two and a quarter stone but the new pannier was quite heavy

Poor old thing, gots to keep it on the road until the insurance comes through

Arch

Married to Night Train
levad said:
I had an incident on my commute this morning. Pootling down a single track road and I came past two of these ...

fallowdeer.jpg

... both on my right, Fallow Deer, one stayed where it was, the other turned and walked in front of me for a short distance down the road and then into the field on my left. I could have touched them as I went past. Apparently they are 3 feet tall up to the shoulder, then there's the neck and head, I was almost looking at them eye to eye.

I see several across the fields and on the edge of the woods most days but never this close. The most daunting encounter was a group of four just off the road in the dark, I just picked up the reflections of the eyes and the shadowy outline in my lights.

Blooming imigrants, send 'em back where they came from, I say... Coming over 'ere, taking all the woods from decent native red deer, and they undercut our local plumbers... <mumble off into Daily Mail rant>

Very pretty though!

ChrisKH

Guru
Tynan said:
why can't they pass you at a zebra, it's not like you're a full size vehicle blocking their line of sight

my back wheel buckled quite badly last night, two miles into the 12 miles home

not much fun hauling that all the way home

Well correct me if I'm wrong but the Highway Code says something about not overtaking on pedestrian crossings. But cyclists don't count obviously, i.e. they are not really traffic.

Tynan

Veteran
yes I know but so much of the highway code is written for cars

it's the spirit of the law for me, overtaking another car at a crossing is clearly very dangerous

passing (as opposed to overtaking) a bike?, not so much at all

do you observe the same rules regarding passing stationary vehicles when there's zig zags and blocked out hash marks?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Isn't it to do with crossing the centre line? If a car was overtaking you coming up to a zebra, you'd want it to be at least straddling the centre line, or it would be pretty close, while a bike passing a car probably wouldn't need to...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
HLaB said:
We have three bus operators here, Lothian, First and Stagecoach.

Lothian always seem to be good at watching out for cyclists. First seemed to be improving too. And I never really have any contact with Satgecoach. Having said that the day Magnatom's article was in the evening news First resumed their normal service, speeding by within inches. Since then though its been quiet, touch wood and I'm really enjoying my commute. :tongue:

I usually find the that LRT drivers seam to think they are cyclist, thats what they always stop over the ASLs... I make a point of going in front to them when they do this knowing full well that I can out accelerate them (except on Broughton St):blush:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Never had any problems with LRT (Lothian) buses on my route (mind you, it's mostly off-road).

They always hang back and don't try pulling in on roundabouts when they see me entering them (unlike every second car-driver here in Edinburgh Park, who seem incapable of judging a safe moment to pull out). Of course, the bus driver gets a smile or a wave of thanks for his manners.

Nice one, Edinburgh Park / Gyle LRT bus drivers ;)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Never had any problems with LRT (Lothian) buses on my route (mind you, it's mostly off-road).

They always hang back and don't try pulling in on roundabouts when they see me entering them (unlike every second car-driver here in Edinburgh Park, who seem incapable of judging a safe moment to pull out). Of course, the bus driver gets a smile or a wave of thanks for his manners.

Nice one, Edinburgh Park / Gyle LRT bus drivers :blush:

Top Bottom