I'm riding a 400 in 10 days time...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

yello

Well I managed to drag myself around.

Actually, it wasn't half as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'd decided to drink and eat to the text book; sipping every 10 minutes and eating every hour. I've no idea exactly how much water I drank, I'm guessing around 6 litres all told, but I was thoroughly sick of fig bars by 300km! It was a tactic that was, I'm guessing, the secret to the success. I finished feeling tired - as expected - but with no major discomforts or pains. Given my lack of preparation, I was expecting to face cramps or joint pains somewhere at some point. I'd also deliberately decided to take it easy, climb on a smaller gear than I normally would and generally pace down - though I had to remind myself of that to begin with!

A quick group had formed very soon after the off and a gap opened. I tried to close it for a few km but decided I was just going to knacker myself for no real cause, so waited for the next wave to catch me and rode with them. We stayed together for around 230km before one abandoned and the other two dropped back. I rode the rest of it alone.

The final 80km was into a stiff head wind. I decided not to fight it and gently pedalled a smaller gear. I only averaged 15kph on that last section but at least I finished! It certainly wasn't the quickest 400 I've ever done but I think, in all honesty, it's the one I've learnt most from.

I'd not make a habit of riding without due preparation, and I certainly wouldn't advise it, but it was useful to know that I could do it.

maurice

Well done, sounds epic. How long did it take you in the end?

OP
OP
Y

yello

maurice said:
How long did it take you in the end?

Started at 5pm, finished 3.15pm the following day. 22 hours 15 minutes.

Just looking at the ride stats, I stopped for a total of 2 hours 45 minutes. I didn't think it would have been that long! My average cadence was only 58, I would have thought it higher. I normally average around 75 so I guess I wasn't spinning as much as I thought! Average heart rate of 123 so, on the other hand, I wasn't knocking myself out!

But as I said, that last 80km was hard work and probably significantly changed the averages to that point.

Edit: I was looking at my data on ridewithgps. GarminConnect has my average cadence as 74 - much more like it! Same average heart rate on both sites though. The ride times are different on each though so I suspect that has something to do with it.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Chapeau, Sir Yello :tongue:.

My next step up is to a 400 but it brings a whole different set of Ride Management issues - rest :blush: or keep going; night riding guaranteed :eek:; more hills :biggrin: etc.

Anyway, congrats and especially for working out your Ride Management strategy, which seems to have worked a treat.

OP
OP
Y

yello

scoosh said:
congrats and especially for working out your Ride Management strategy, which seems to have worked a treat.

Cheers, and yes I think it did!

400 is a distance I don't like. I need sleep and I'm not quick enough to bank enough time on a 400 to get a decent kip so I have to resort to a couple of ProPlus to keep me going. I'd prefer not to. I finish spaced and I don't like that feeling. 300 and 600, I'm okay with.

I don't mind riding through the night, it actually has a charm of it's own a lot of the time.

Re rest or ride, I think it's a matter of finding what works for you. Some can power nap and get by, some can ride right through, others bank enough time for 4 hours sleep and then they're away again. I think the start time also is a factor. For an evening start, you could have been awake for 12 hours already!

Keith Oates

Janner
Good going yello, I've never done that distance in one go so can only guess at the feeling of achievement you must have had at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Slightly OT but I wonder of the "buzz" from a ride corresponds to the length of the ride ?

100k - buzz for 1 day

200k - 2 days

etc

Anyone else found this ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done on the ride!

I wouldn't like a 400 either because I'm not into sleep deprivation. I'd ride up to the point where I felt like I needed to sleep, but beyond that I wouldn't enjoy it and I don't think it's safe to ride when mentally tired.

I know the audax rules, but from my point of view if a rider stops and has a kip before carrying on then (s)he is effectively doing two separate rides back-to-back.

There is a 600 which usually runs from the community centre at Mytholmroyd, just down the road from me. The riders go off and do 381 km on the Saturday, returning to the centre where they have a meal and then get some sleep on the floor. They get up, have breakfast and then go off and do another 227 km. I don't see that as being a 608 km ride, it's a 381 km ride on the Saturday followed by a 227 km ride on the Sunday, surely?

Threelionsbrian

I did my first 400 at the weekend, to be honest sleep was the last thing on my mind. A couple of times i felt fatigued but never to a point where i considered it dangerous. I would have thought the buzz is only stronger the first time you achieve a longer distance. I have found the memory of the pain goes quickly and ride experience enhances. The extra 100 Miles of unknown was very very painful (what a wimp i am). Surprisingly the legs were full of riding even at the end.

SheilaH

ColinJ said:
Well done on the ride!

I wouldn't like a 400 either because I'm not into sleep deprivation. I'd ride up to the point where I felt like I needed to sleep, but beyond that I wouldn't enjoy it and I don't think it's safe to ride when mentally tired.

I know the audax rules, but from my point of view if a rider stops and has a kip before carrying on then (s)he is effectively doing two separate rides back-to-back.

You'll not catch me doing these odd timed 400s that start later than 7am or before 5am. Timing a ride so that you have to ride the whole night seems a little crazy to me. I don't like sleep deprivation either. The last 400 I did started at 7am, and finished at 12.30am (at least, it did for me). Totally doable and nothing worse than a slightly late night.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Yes the ones that have the whole night need a different approach. I find on mid summer dawn start 400s you can treat them as a long 300s and just ride through.

But I find on late start, 'all night' 400s, I have to treat them as a 'longer ride' and plan for some kip at one of the controls, or if the weather is warm and dry(!), to cat nap as and when.

Either way, I've always found 400s to be the hardest distance. Certainly much harder than 1200s.

Threelionsbrian

Have to totally disagree on the night part. The night ride added to the event experience and you covered a large section of the ride on quieter roads. I can only comment on my own experience and we all cope differently to different aspects of a longer ride.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Well done yello! :laugh:

Well done to you too, Brian - will you be coming along for the Exmouth Exodus this year for a bit more night-time fun? The forecast is looking good!

Top Bottom