I'm riding a 400 in 10 days time...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threelionsbrian

Thanks Baggy, Can't i'm afraid, i'm on Marshalling duty for the Dartmoor Classic so i ought to be awake :smile:

Hope you see the moon this year, see the monsoons not arriving till Sunday inconsiderate or what!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Threelionsbrian said:
Hope you see the moon this year, see the monsoons not arriving till Sunday inconsiderate or what!

We'll miss you - our loss is the Classic's gain :smile:. Hope we see the moon too, think it will be the first time!

OP
OP
Y

yello

Threelionsbrian said:
Have to totally disagree on the night part.

I can only comment on my own experience and we all cope differently to different aspects of a longer ride.

Given your entirely reasonable second comment, I think what you mean in the 1st is something like 'I have a different experience'... rather than "totally disagree" which sounds like you're saying someone's wrong! :wacko:

I personally like night riding. It can be surreal sometimes. I love to see the bemused expressions of anyone around in the small hours! But it does require me to adopt a different tactic. I'm envious of those that can ride through the night and feel good for it. Or those that are quick enough to complete 400 without needing sleep. I don't like riding night 400s simply because of the sleep aspect, and I'll never get conditioned to it because I don't ride them enough! A kind of Catch 22!!

In the past, I've tried conditioning myself to less sleep several times. Not for cycling but for other reasons. But I've always failed. I need my kip and so have to plan around it... even if that be by taking ProPlus!

Randochap

Senior hunter
We have a 400 that traditionally starts at 3AM. It allows riders to get over the first big climb on a main highway before traffic gets busy. It also allows the average rider to be finished around 11-midnight.

Of course good lighting is the key. A well lit cyclist is arguably safer -- more visible -- at night than in the daytime.

Greenbank

Über Member
My most recent 400 (for which I wasn't in the best shape for) started at 7am and I finished at 9.30am the next morning, pretty much lanterne rouge for the entire ride.

I had a coffee and some pro-plus at 1.30am (the first people finished at 12.30am) before leaving Aberystwyth and heading on up the A44 over Plymlimon.

I did feel a bit dozy (as did my companion) at about 3am coming in to Ponterwyd so we stopped for a short nap on beds made from bread crates at the side of the petrol station (which was closed obviously). That 10 minutes of eyes shut (I'm not sure I got more than a couple of minutes sleep) was enough to see me through to the end without feeling dozy or unsafe at all. I slept well on the train back to London though!

My energy levels increased quite a bit as the sun was coming up as we were blatting along the A44 and A470 to Newtown, then it was back into the lanes to Shrewsbury.

I'm lucky that I don't get affected by sleep deprivation that much at all. I did a very hilly 41 hour 600 on just a 15 minute nap on a bench at 5am last year.

It would certainly be easier if I laid off the pies and beer, did a bit more training and got fast enough to have a few hours proper sleep, but where's the fun in that? The time limits are there to be made use of. ;)

400s are tricky as they're not long enough for the slower riders to build up enough of a time buffer for sleep. My only other calendar 400 I had a 45 minute nap at just after midnight which worked well, still felt very dozy at 5am though but the rising sun helps. The DIY 400 I did started at 6pm (to coincide with the Dun Run) which worked surprisingly well, probably because I was well rested not having to get up at 5am for an early start.

Being comfortable riding through the night on little or no sleep is a useful thing to be able to do, especially if you want to do rides like PBP or LEL. The only alternative is being fast enough to do 4 consecutive days of 350km+ in daylight and chapeau to you if you can do push that hard for so many consecutive days.

For example, you had to be very quick on day 1 of LEL if you had a 2pm start time and wanted to minimise night riding. A 5am sunrise the following morning is 15 hours from 2pm, so you'd need to be (15h*12kph) 180km down the road in the 8 hours of daylight. The problem was that the controls were at 150km (not far enough) or 220km. 220km in 8 hours is hard work, especially if there had been a headwind. If you stopped at the 150km control you'd need to be up before sunrise in order to ride the 70km before you were out of time at 8am.

Anyway, I love night riding, it's great fun being out on the roads at that time. I don't mind doing it alone either, it's lovely having that much time to think to myself. Having company certainly makes the time, and miles, fly by faster.

I did LEL on 10 hours sleep and felt great at the end of it. I got the same 14 AUK points for doing it as the person who finished in 65 hours, or the fast rider who had 8 hours sleep each night and, like me, just finished in time.

Greenbank

Über Member
Banjo said:
dont know how many of you guys use proplus how does it affect you?

Sometimes it helps keep me awake.

Sometimes it makes no difference at all. I've been able to have a 45 minute catnap after 3 cups of coffee and 4 pro-plus in the previous 2 hours.

I think the difference was psychological. The time I took them and they helped me stay awake was nearing the end of a 300km Audax (that finished at 3am) and I had no time spare to use for sleep otherwise I'd be out of time.

The other time I was on a longer ride (LEL in fact) with enough of a time buffer to be able to sleep.

OP
OP
Y

yello

vorsprung said:
I give up caffeine for a few days before an event where I am going to need to stay awake past midnight.

Give up coffee!! Lordy, I don't mind riding 400km but giving up coffee... jeez, that ain't ever going to happen! ;)

ProPlus worked for me. I didn't feel ill, just awake throughout the night and the following day. I took a couple at around 1am then again at about 6am. No side effects (I've always had hair growing out of my ankles) and I'd do it again without question.

Top Bottom