I'm stressed in my cycling :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Stressed in my cycling, I am .... by a Bikability course! :eek:

This is what happened:
yesterday I finished a 4 day cycle instructor course, at Bikability level 3.
Apart from the expected difficulties in learning how to prepare lessons for school children ( teaching kids was not my aim in taking the course, but they are the main recipient of the delivered learning ) I have discovered that I have zero road skills and minus zero bike handling skills :cry:
Had to learn how to safely start on the bike, can't do a proper a u-turn, was even braking wrong!
What I thought was proper road position is actually not - my primary not primary enough, my secondary too secondary, did not know that you should be in primary on turning left ... after cycling daily for almost two years, I realized I've been doing it all wrong.
The only subject I knew all about was bike cleaning and maintenance, thank you CC :biggrin:

The programme was split, with gap of a week between the first 2 days and the last 2.
So of course I practiced my newly acquired skills on my commute, actively seeking traffic when previously actively avoiding it: got beeped like there's no tomorrow, for my own safety I guess :smile:
Making myself visible to traffic in the dark while avoiding the door zone solicited such a blast of the horn from the car behind that I felt like dismounting and cry!
It all culminated yesterday, when the instructor asked us to lead the crossing of a busy 3 lane roundabout: I almost fainted when he said that swiftness was the key, no use going 5mph ...

Conclusion: don't know the results yet, If I only passed level 1 I'll be happy enough, can try a second time for the rest.
I have learned many useful cycling strategies on this course - don't have the guts to implement them all, but the theory is sound.
Think that I can now give a bash at teaching my best friend how to ride a bike so she can ride to town with me: if I manage this it was worth the beepings I got for cycling "by the book".
In my opinion, all new adult riders should do bikability to level 3, it really helps, especially if you don't drive.

I am left with the slightly sad vision of a future filled with fast skilled road riders, no place for the likes of Pat 5mph.
In the meantime ... back on the bike tomorrow :biggrin:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Well done for doing that course.

Don't worry about drivers beeping you, all that usually means is that you've got your positioning correct!

GC

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
:hugs: Well done Pat.
Don't let them get you down. You already lead rides as we have recently read and your two comrades are still breathing. We could all learn something from those courses so you are not alone , the difference is that you have done it.
Get back out there girlie we need another travelogue:biggrin: and to hear of adventures from abroad.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Well done on completing the course, whether you have passed or not, at least you have participated, and you can always go back again should it not go the expected way.

The beeping you will have got will have been off ignorant drivers who probably couldn't pass their driving test again, let alone comprehend cycling safely on ever more congested roads. Most probably don't even know what a door zone is.

The problem is one of communication and education, what is being taught to a new generation of cyclists is not being shown to a wider audience, and driving tests are very narrow in what they teach in regards to vunerable road users.

Good luck and here's hoping you pass!
Too soon to light the candles on your celebratory slice of cake? :birthday:

fimm

Veteran
"I am left with the slightly sad vision of a future filled with fast skilled road riders, no place for the likes of Pat 5mph."

and this is why all the training in the world will not get everyone from 8 to 80 cycling, without suitable infrastructure in place.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
...did not know that you should be in primary on turning left ... after cycling daily for almost two years, I realized I've been doing it all wrong.

Well I've been doing that all wrong for over 30 years.

Sara_H

Guru
Anyone else get a little rattled when beeped at? The noise nearly always spooks me, as I'm not expecting it. :evil:
I got beeped at last week, I was signalling right, driver zoomed up behind and leant on the horn. A ped who was waiting to cross the junction I was turning into gave me a "WTF?" look, I just shrugged my shoulders and was gone!

Top Bottom