I'm stressed in my cycling :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've found myself cycling behind a bikeability trainer and found myself thinking, ''shouldn't you be a little further out?'' I've never done the course but I suspect that when they got assessed there was a wee bit of riding how the instructor says, a bit like the watched driving during the driving test, and then going back closer to where the rider feels most comfortable once they've got the certificate, and only partially assimilating all the principles into their personal riding. In other words, I don't think they always practice what they preach.

And if the speed difference between what I can manage and the traffic on a busy, complicated road junction feels too great, I've been known to get off and walk to the exit I want. There's no shame on the cyclist, the shame is all the highway engineer's. Of course, the steadier your progress, the greater the difference between you and the traffic will be, so there will probably be junctions which a seasoned roadie will ride and I won't, and perhaps junctions that I will ride and you won't.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'm sure my riding isn't textbook but I

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Well done getting through the course Pat. I hope the results will exceed your expectations.:thumbsup:

A while back one of my contacts at the local council asked whether I'd be interested in training up as an instructor. I shied away from it at the time:thumbsdown: and think I should have had a go. What does the course cost and what else is involved?

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
If these bikeability instructors and assessors ride anywhere near as badly as most car driving instructors and examiners drive then I think riding as they instruct you to do will seriously reduce your life expectancy. If you have survived cycling for 30 years without this training and with out incident then this has got to tell you something.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well done getting through the course Pat. I hope the results will exceed your expectations.:thumbsup:

A while back by one of my contacts at the local council asked whether I'd be interested in training up as an instructor. I shied away from it at the time:thumbsdown: and think I should have had a go. What does the course cost and what else is involved?

You should do it Phil, my instructor said in England there are lots of jobs delivering Bikability as the local authorities give a lot of founding to train school kids.
You can also deliver Bikability one to one in the workplace, or to individual clients, or take youth groups on trips and so on.

No jobs in Scotland as the trainers are mostly volunteers that went on the course sponsored by their kids schools or by their employer - you could become the work's place "cycling coordinator", also a non paid position here.
I really wanted the qualification to be able to teach road skills (for free) to the ladies in my group afraid of riding the road.
Did not pay for it as I am already a beginner's ride leader for the group (one day course) this was to be a progression offered by "a better way to work" local government backed scheme to encourage active travel.
If you had to pay for the course I estimate it's a few hundred pounds, but if you get involved with your local active travel groups you have a good chance to get it for free.
Here is a link.

The one I've done was split over 4 days, aimed at teaching school kids the 3 Bikability levels.
It is advantageous if you already have some teaching or training background as you are expected to deliver short presentations, device lessons, fill in risk assessments and so on.
You need to be a confident cyclist and have knowledge of basic bike repairs.
While level 1 focuses on teaching basic bike skills while having fun with the kids, level 2 and 3 must be delivered by the book, that is the Cyclecraft book, of which you will receive a free copy along with the teaching material for the 3 levels.
You would sail through it!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
You should do it Phil, my instructor said in England there are lots of jobs delivering Bikability as the local authorities give a lot of founding to train school kids.
You can also deliver Bikability one to one in the workplace, or to individual clients, or take youth groups on trips and so on.

No jobs in Scotland as the trainers are mostly volunteers that went on the course sponsored by their kids schools or by their employer - you could become the work's place "cycling coordinator", also a non paid position here.
I really wanted the qualification to be able to teach road skills (for free) to the ladies in my group afraid of riding the road.
Did not pay for it as I am already a beginner's ride leader for the group (one day course) this was to be a progression offered by "a better way to work" local government backed scheme to encourage active travel.
If you had to pay for the course I estimate it's a few hundred pounds, but if you get involved with your local active travel groups you have a good chance to get it for free.
Here is a link.

The one I've done was split over 4 days, aimed at teaching school kids the 3 Bikability levels.
It is advantageous if you already have some teaching or training background as you are expected to deliver short presentations, device lessons, fill in risk assessments and so on.
While level 1 focuses on teaching basic bike skills while having fun with the kids, level 2 and 3 must be delivered by the book, that is the Cyclecraft book, of which you will receive a free copy along with the teaching material for the 3 levels.
Thanks for that Pat. Looks interesting - saved in my favourites for further perusal.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Thanks for that Pat. Looks interesting - saved in my favourites for further perusal.:thumbsup:
Ask about: there are a lot of free courses related to cycling if you take the time to subscribe to the various FB pages or newsletters from cycling organizations in your area, especially the "cycle to work" initiatives.

gavgav

Guru

A while back one of my contacts at the local council asked whether I'd be interested in training up as an instructor. I shied away from it at the time:thumbsdown: and think I should have had a go. What does the course cost and what else is involved?
And I tried to encourage you to do it phillip!!!

Sara_H

Guru

Here is a link.

When I did level 2 last week I was offered the chance to do level 3 but can't say I'm too fussed TBH.

gavgav

Guru

Here is a link.

Chivvy @Rickshaw Phil as well for me pat. I have tried to get him to do this sort if thing, as he would simply be brilliant at it. He's tought me a lot about cycling and bikes already, without even really trying. Natural talent in my eyes :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

When I did level 2 last week I was offered the chance to do level 3 but can't say I'm too fussed TBH.
Ah, my course was for instructors Sara, you are trained to train so to speak.
I think you should do level 3, good knowledge to have.

Top Bottom