I'm thinking of becoming a teacher

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bond

So I'm thinking of becoming a teacher but the problem is I want to teach Science and I have just completed my BA in History. Does anybody know what I have to do to become a science teacher? I hope I don't have to go and do a science degree and then a PGCE.

darkstar

So you've been persuaded by the careers department at Uni have you?:biggrin:

Did you go to Liverpool Uni? As they have been pushing teaching heavily this year. I'm not taking the bait though, both of my parents were teachers and thats enough of a deterrent. Very rewarding careers if you're passionate though. As for the subject, i would presume you would need to study the subject you teach, if you intend to teach at Secondary school level?

longers

Legendary Member
I'm sure we had teachers who could only teach up to certain levels and this was because of the background they had in the subject. Bit out of date now though probably.

Night Train

Maker of Things
From what I gather, if you went for the PGCE you would need to do some teaching anyway, of anything. The school will get you to teach whatever they are in need of on the basis that you can follow a lesson plan and schedule/scheme of works.
It really depends on how difficult it is for them to find a qualified science teacher.

I think it is in cases like mine where I want to teach at college I can only teach the susbect I am qualified in, in order to get a Cert Ed, for lack of a first degree.

Good luck, I wouldn't teach secondary school, I prefer mature students who pay to be there.

darkstar

fossyant said:
Don't study at Liverpool...I work for another Uni not too far away, that happens to have some of the best Science Teachers........... On the PGCE I'm sure you can go into Sciences - so do it.... apply to MMU.......

This is also what we have at MMU with the Teacher Training......

https://www.sciencelearningcentres.org.uk/centres/north-west

Blatant advert, but you will do well...some cracking teachers here........
A Met? Pah;):biggrin:;)

(3 winks to emphasise joke)

Night Train

Maker of Things
fossyant said:
Don't study at Liverpool...I work for another Uni not too far away, that happens to have some of the best Science Teachers........... On the PGCE I'm sure you can go into Sciences - so do it.... apply to MMU.......

This is also what we have at MMU with the Teacher Training......

https://www.sciencelearningcentres.org.uk/centres/north-west

Blatant advert, but you will do well...some cracking teachers here........
I wanted to apply for the Craft and Design PGCE there in the hope of getting my first degree and a PGCE in one hit. I was told I needed to have a first degree before I could do the Craft and Design course.

Do they have any other entry to teaching courses running that I could get on to without a first degree?

mark barker

As it currently stands, you don't need to have any experience of the subject you wish to teach, just a PGCE. Part of the reason I left teaching a couple of years ago was due to the decline in standards within various departments (the head of my department was a PE teacher, I taught Design & Technology, whilst the PE department was headed up by a Maths teacher!).

mark barker

Night Train said:
I wanted to apply for the Craft and Design PGCE there in the hope of getting my first degree and a PGCE in one hit. I was told I needed to have a first degree before I could do the Craft and Design course.

Do they have any other entry to teaching courses running that I could get on to without a first degree?

There are a few unis that offer QTS courses in Design & Technology, take a look on the UCAS website for a list.

Depending on your current qualifications you might be able to register for the RTP program http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/thetrainingprocess/typesofcourse/employmentbased/rtp.aspx

My wife's a teacher and has it easier in some ways as she works at a private school (classrom discipline in particular). My advice is not to do it. I can't advise about the subject change but for ease of getting qualified it would help to teach the subject you have your degree in. If you want to work to live rather than live to work then don't be a teacher.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I can't give advise either way - but there are some great inspiring teachers out there, my children have been lucky enough to have been taught by some. Don't do it to just pay the bills, but if you want to do it, and feel really enthusiastic then you go for it.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
mark barker said:
As it currently stands, you don't need to have any experience of the subject you wish to teach, just a PGCE. Part of the reason I left teaching a couple of years ago was due to the decline in standards within various departments (the head of my department was a PE teacher, I taught Design & Technology, whilst the PE department was headed up by a Maths teacher!).

That's educational management theory for you. Subject knowledge takes second place to perceived management skills. I've witnessed some pretty weird management appointments with some less than satisfactory outcomes for the managed departments but a relatively quick ascent up the greasy pole for the aspiring head teachers.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

shippers

Classic route is to get a PGCE in your subject, ie Science. The difficult bit will be getting onto the PGCE course with a non-related degree. History is seen as a good general degree; if you have science related A levels you migt be in with a shout.

I would advise against the PGCE History route to get into teaching then try to move into the science dept- bugger all history teacher jobs out there at the moment. (I have one!)

Your PGCE will take 1 year, but get applying now if you're in your final year.

You could persue the Higher Level Teaching Assistant route into teaching, but it pays even less...

Top Bottom