Image release forms at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
At school, students/parents are given the option to opt out of them/their child being in publicity photos. This is taken very seriously and teachers must check the list if we are thinking of taking photos in class or on trips. Staff have never been given that option. Though I suspect it wouldn't be a problem if a photographer came into your class and you said you'd rather not.

roley poley

Über Member
the postman now will take a picture of some packets that are held in your hand beyond the threshold as proof of receipt but we MUST be sure not to get your face in frame...

Julia9054

Guru
the postman now will take a picture of some packets that are held in your hand beyond the threshold as proof of receipt but we MUST be sure not to get your face in frame...
I got "your package has been handed to a neighbour " with the picture of an unidentifiable random headless lady. Fortunately she came round (with her head on!) whilst I was trying to puzzle out who the hell it was!

Understand OP's reasons which are truly valid.

I also think some employers have gone overboard. I also know of employers that will avoid left leaning liberals and they do it by skilful and crafty interviewing because they have been burnt in the past.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Image release forms have no legal validity.
But the neurotic get upset about a photo of them appearing in public. The same neurotics that flood Facebook, Instagram etc with pictures of themselves doing the most banal things. Usually involving alcohol or food!
Companies use pictures of their workplace as promotional material so to stop the neurotic getting upset they ask for these forms.
You will be on their premises and they can take whatever pictures they wish.
If you are one of the neurotics then walk away and lose the job.
You are in a call centre. They take a picture of how many staff at work? 50? 100? Is anyone really going to identify you and then decide to target you for nefarious purpose?
Then you must make sure that no picture of yourself ever appears in public anywhere or you will be applying double standards.
I happen to be one of the few that does not use social media, unless CC counts and would never put myself in a photo that was going online. I am not neurotic I just don't want to.

Any company that talks about “onboarding” would make me walk away 😉
Got bad news for you.

"Onboarding" is now the formal language. Nearly all companies use it except your neighbourhood Doner Kebab shop.

netman

Veteran
Just a few points for the OP...

To be lawful under GDPR laws, consent must be “freely given, specific, informed and unambiguous”. Employers are therefore best to seek consent for use of images for marketing purposes in a separate contract from the employment contract and to make clear that the employee gives their consent completely without conditions or fear of repercussions if they do not consent to the use of their image for company marketing campaigns.

The 'specific' part is important and the ICO would likely want to see separate consent forms for specific separate usage (eg. a website article or a specific brochure). A blanket single form would quite possibly be non-compliant with data protection laws.

Generally, consent will not be valid if the employee feels pressured into giving it. It must be a genuine choice and the employee must not suffer any detriment if they decline to take part. So you would have valid grounds to make a complaint to the ICO if they either threatened to withdraw the job offer, or actually did so. (I would expect any legal judgement would extend these rights to potential employees as well as existing ones).

An employee also has a right to privacy under the Human Rights Act 1998. Under Article 8 of the Human Rights Act 1998, individuals have the right to respect for their private and family life, home and correspondence.

More at https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/

(I'm a trained Data Protection Officer btw!)

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've never heard of unpaid training or induction in all my 25 years of office work. Not unless it's a managerial role. But companies now will try to take the p where they can. My partner's boy has just done 2 Saturdays in a café unpaid, as a "try out". I'd do it anyway if I wanted the job, but if you're not desperate then I'd look elsewhere

Ripple

Veteran
@Saluki

If you worry about your personal safety - don't take that job. Maybe (just maybe) it's nothing to worry about but only YOU will know how it will affect you and how much you will worry. YOUR mental health and good night's sleep is the priority. I believe none of us know what you've been through in your life and how serious it was (I can only imagine from some of your posts here).

Once again - YOUR safety is the priority.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've never heard of unpaid training or induction in all my 25 years of office work. Not unless it's a managerial role. But companies now will try to take the p where they can. My partner's boy has just done 2 Saturdays in a café unpaid, as a "try out". I'd do it anyway if I wanted the job, but if you're not desperate then I'd look elsewhere

Should be against the law, yes have a try out, but pay them. Training and inductions should be done in company time when you are getting paid.

Top Bottom