Immobitag, Datatag, alternative, or none?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Do we extend that logic to cars?.

I already do. I've got a decent "best" motor that's a few years old but still extremely straight and tidy, and I've got a rough beater that's a lot of years old and hasn't got a straight panel on it. I don't leave the good one parked on-street in dodgy areas or in the supermarket where the bodywork is going to get bashed by careless idiots who can't keep their shopping trolleys and car doors under control. Horses for courses. Nothing wrong with having nice stuff, just save it for the situations where the risk of damage or theft is low. Use low-value stuff you don't care too much about for higher risk situations.

classic33

Leg End Member
I already do. I've got a decent "best" motor that's a few years old but still extremely straight and tidy, and I've got a rough beater that's a lot of years old and hasn't got a straight panel on it. I don't leave the good one parked on-street in dodgy areas or in the supermarket where the bodywork is going to get bashed by careless idiots who can't keep their shopping trolleys and car doors under control. Horses for courses. Nothing wrong with having nice stuff, just save it for the situations where the risk of damage or theft is low. Use low-value stuff you don't care too much about for higher risk situations.
Both fully insured?

I have a cheap beater estate with 258000 miles on it. I still take good care of it, though, so far as limited finances allow. Because it's also a really nice car.
Everyone's needs be different ...

classic33

Leg End Member
I have a cheap beater estate with 258000 miles on it. I still take good care of it, though, so far as limited finances allow. Because it's also a really nice car.
Everyone's needs be different ...
And if were to be nicked, how would you manage?

Especially if at the far end of the trip.

This sounds like such a sad statement on society. You should be able to ride any bicycle you want lock it up and have it be there later.

I routinely use a lock that probably has zero coverage should a bicycle get stolen, but I live in an area where there is relatively little crime and no perceived value to a used bicycle. If a bicycle gets stolen it is stolen as a result of a crime of convenience rather then intent to sell the bicycle on.

That said I did have a Trek 8000 stolen from me about 20 years ago and it still hurts.

. If it's not worth nicking, the chances are it won't get nicked
That not true in Cambridge. A colleague left his old beater u-locked daily at Cambridge station. He said it "cost £20 when I bought it 20 years ago". One evening, it wasn't there.

Top Bottom