Immobitag, Datatag, alternative, or none?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jbb060

I've just upgraded my commuter and am now paranoid that the Cambridge bike thieves will strike again, does anyone have experience with getting a bike returned using one of the tagging services, or reasons not to go with them?

Cheers!

Drago

Legendary Member
A chuffing great lock.

Then write down your frame number.

vickster

Legendary Member
And a really cheap hack bike for locking up with said lock. Or if more valuable comprehensive insurance with non draconian claim terms

OP
OP
jbb060

jbb060

Good idea Vickster. A cheapish back bike, combined with a Kryptonite with a £500 theft guarantee.

That's exactly what I did with my now-stolen Tern, though the house insurance paid out and covered my Garmin too, which was nice of them.

Thanks to that, I've learnt about noting down the serial number the hard way. I've got that and plenty of photos of the bike this time.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Never pay more for a commuter/hack bike than you would pay for a round of drinks in the pub. If it's not worth nicking, the chances are it won't get nicked - and if it looks like a scruffy POS it's less likely to get vandalised or have bits robbed off it either. A very low thief appeal bike also doesn't need costly OTT security measures and you don't need to bother insuring it.
The money saved by running a cheap hack can always be spent on having a nicer quality "best" bike for use in lower-risk leisure riding situations, and it saves a lot of wear & tear on a decent bike if you've got a beater to run into the ground.

classic33

Leg End Member
Never pay more for a commuter/hack bike than you would pay for a round of drinks in the pub. If it's not worth nicking, the chances are it won't get nicked - and if it looks like a scruffy POS it's less likely to get vandalised or have bits robbed off it either. A very low thief appeal bike also doesn't need costly OTT security measures and you don't need to bother insuring it.
The money saved by running a cheap hack can always be spent on having a nicer quality "best" bike for use in lower-risk leisure riding situations, and it saves a lot of wear & tear on a decent bike if you've got a beater to run into the ground.
Cobblers. Some folk lack the space for more than one bike, they may have also saved a while to get the bike they wanted. Then they're told to get a cheap one, that's cheaper than a round of drinks.

Not certain how many new bikes are out there for that price, or what size rounds you buy. What it boils down to, even with a cheap bike is that people will steal anything. Then you've to replace what has been stolen.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Cobblers. Some folk lack the space for more than one bike, they may have also saved a while to get the bike they wanted. Then they're told to get a cheap one, that's cheaper than a round of drinks.

Not certain how many new bikes are out there for that price, or what size rounds you buy. What it boils down to, even with a cheap bike is that people will steal anything. Then you've to replace what has been stolen.

Unless you live in one room, everybody has got space for more than one bike. Sensible people don't save their hard earned cash to buy high-value items to leave unattended on the street in high-risk areas. They buy the cheapest thing that will do the job which carries the smallest financial loss if it gets nicked. You don't buy an expensive bling watch to tell you the time working on an industrial site either - you make do with a £10 one from Argos so if you smash it or lose it, you aren't going to cry about it. There's loads of cheapo commuting-suitable bikes on the secondhand market. I bought an Apollo CX10 for £1 a few months ago purely to strip for parts. It was in very good condition apart from worn tyres and if it had been big enough to fit me, I would have been quite happy to use it as an on-street hack bike.
Some people will steal anything, but most thieves want items with some value, which means they aren't going to bother taking your £20 hack if someone has left a tidy-looking £500 bike parked next to it. I'd rather have to replace a £20 bike than a £500 one, but if having a shiny bike to ride to work on in the morning is more important to some people than still having a bike of some sorts to ride home on gain in the evening, that's their lookout.

Unless you live in one room, everybody has got space for more than one bike. Sensible people don't save their hard earned cash to buy high-value items to leave unattended on the street in high-risk areas. They buy the cheapest thing that will do the job which carries the smallest financial loss if it gets nicked. You don't buy an expensive bling watch to tell you the time working on an industrial site either - you make do with a £10 one from Argos so if you smash it or lose it, you aren't going to cry about it. There's loads of cheapo commuting-suitable bikes on the secondhand market. I bought an Apollo CX10 for £1 a few months ago purely to strip for parts. It was in very good condition apart from worn tyres and if it had been big enough to fit me, I would have been quite happy to use it as an on-street hack bike.
Some people will steal anything, but most thieves want items with some value, which means they aren't going to bother taking your £20 hack if someone has left a tidy-looking £500 bike parked next to it. I'd rather have to replace a £20 bike than a £500 one, but if having a shiny bike to ride to work on in the morning is more important to some people than still having a bike of some sorts to ride home on gain in the evening, that's their lookout.

I see both points. For me when I cycle to work, its a 15 mile journey each way. An old hack wouldnt cut it. If im gonna cycle that kind of distance, I'd want something decent. However where I work does have decent security. We have a bike shed which requires your work ID card, and I lock my bike to the racks inside there.
An old hack is good if you ride only a few miles each way or security is iffy. Finding the balance will vary between persons and circumstances.

classic33

Leg End Member
Do we extend that logic to cars?

Buy a cheap one that you don't mind if it gets pinched or damaged. For many a bike isn't bling, it's a viable means of transport. Which just like a car requires certain precautions be taken to minimse the chances of it being stolen. What those are depends, to a large extent on what you feel is required. Or if uncertain you either ask, or take a look at what others are using.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd rather spend money on a nice bike, a good lock and insurance than waste it on beer ;)

Although I can happily do both without leaving myself short of money ;)

Top Bottom