Impossible to get 120 PSI into my tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I started running 28c @ 60 psi proper comfy

OP
OP
M

MBosh

No I don't need 120 PSI, but just wondered why the tyres would say it when I can't get more then 100PSI in the inner tubes. For someone who asked it's a new Joe Blow Sport 111..

OP
OP
M

MBosh

I am strong enough because the pump goes down, but it just bounces back up like no more air is getting in. I think it might be the gauge that's faulty like someone suggested. Would there be a way to test the gauge? Just looked at the spec of the pump and it says it's capable of 160PSI.

I've heard a lot of these pumps are rubbish when it comes to giving the correct gauge readings, but this one was supposed to be good..

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
120psi must have you bouncing around on the road. It's way too high, even on 23mm tyres, for normal road use.

Hmm, Schwalbe think otherwise, but the higher pressures, elsewhere on the site, are recommended for heavier riders.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en-GB/road-reader/durano-plus.html

And the screen dump

Schwalbe.jpg

rrarider

Veteran
As I mentioned earlier, the rising pump handle indicates that the non-return valve is not able to hold the pressure in the hose. It is sometimes called a check valve and is a one-way valve. It allows air to travel from the pump barrel and into the hose and tyre but not the other way. You may well find that one of these:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/topeak-checking-valve-joe-blow-sportsprint/ is suitable.

I would call SJS and ask them. I imagine that like my Rennkompressor, it's accessible by undoing a large nut on the base of pump, underneath the barrel. The gauge may well be inaccurate, but for the handle to start rising above a certain pressure, has nothing to do with the gauge. To suggest otherwise, demonstrates a lack of understanding of basic physics, Air does not travel through the gauge, it measures the pressure in a .cul-de-sac' off the hose.

As for whether you need 120 psi or not, that's entirely up to you and concerns nobody else. For anyone to tell you that don't need it or ask what your weight is, is just plain rudeness and arrogance. The fact is you want that pressure and asked a perfectly reasonable question as to how to achieve it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is the pump new? If so, return it as you believe it to be defective. Topeak have a decent warranty period presumably

Svendo

Guru
I need a new pump.its starting to blow off the valve at about 85-90 psi, got to be getting on for 8 years old +
Could try unscrewing the top, removing the rubber washer grommet thingy, wrapping it in a layer of insulating tape reinserting and seeing if that improves it. May need to experiment with number of layers, tightness of wrap stretch of tape etc. It’s worked for me in the past, and the pump is now at work helpfully bailing out me and bike commuting colleagues when fixing punctures etc at work.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
As I mentioned earlier, the rising pump handle indicates that the non-return valve is not able to hold the pressure in the hose. It is sometimes called a check valve and is a one-way valve. It allows air to travel from the pump barrel and into the hose and tyre but not the other way.

You know, in all these years of owning and using track pumps, it never occurred to me that there would be a non-return valve in the pump body, but now you mention it, it makes perfect sense.

Fortunately, I've never had any problems with pumps to give me cause to think about how they work.

Top Bottom